best friends never judge

Lauren jumps when she realises the knock on her door wasn't coming from her dream.

"I'm coming!" She yells as she puts a sweater on, and she unlocks the door only to find her best friend standing there with a smile on her face. "Mani what the fuck? What time is it?"

"Dude, it's 10 AM. You, what the fuck?" The gorgeous girl says, coming in and Lauren groans.

"I'm so tired. I'm pathetic." She collapses on the couch, and her best friend looks at her.

"Is Camila the reason of your pathetic-ness?"

"Yes. No. Maybe. I don't know??"

"Should I repeat the question?" Normani says with a smirk and Lauren throws a pillow at her.

They both laugh, and in that moment Lauren realises she should probably tell her best friend about how she's been feeling these days.

"What are you thinking about Jauregui?"

"Nothing. It's just... I'm just-" She makes an explosion sound and mimics an explosion with her hands on her head.

"I see. What's going on?"

"You tell me. I have no idea, Mani, really... My life just took a turn I wasn't expecting and now I'm- I- I don't even know what's happening?"

"Well maybe you should relax a little for a second and we can sort it all out? Is Camila the source of your confusion?"

"Honestly... I don't really think she is. I mean, I think the fact that I saw our break up coming from miles away really helps with the whole healing process. I'm actually okay about the whole Camila thing, really. But there's just..."

She makes a hand gesture, looking at her best friend who has an eyebrow raised.

"There's just?" Normani says, mimicking Lauren's hand gesture to know more.

"I don't know. Well, I do know but... I'm not sure. I don't know if I should tell you, because it's a crazy thing and I don't want you to think I'm a crazy person."

Normani laughs at that and Lauren looks at her in confusion.

"You're so funny Lauren..." She fakes drying tears. "I've watched you get topless at parties because your feminist side comes out strong when you're drunk, and you think I'm going to belive that you're crazy??" She laughs again. "Bitch are you tripping?! I know for a fact that you are crazy! Come on, what is it?"

Lauren laughs, and she lies back down on the couch, still debating with herself.

If she tells her, she'd have answers and advices and if she doesn't, she'll be feeling miserable about herself again.

"I don't know, Mani, I'm scared. I don't want you to be judging me."

"You know I won't judge you. Come on, Lau! Best friends don't judge each other, spill the motherfucking tea!"

Lauren sighs, are sits up.

"There's this girl in the class I teach, right? She-"

"Oh God I can smell the idiot energy from here. Don't tell me you have a crush on her."

"Alright I won't tell you."

They lock eyes for a few seconds and Normani sees in Lauren's eyes that she's right.

"LAUREN MICHELLE WHAT THE FUCK? Are you out of your fucking mind??"

"I KNOW MANI! I know! I already hate myself enough, I don't need you to make it worse. I feel so bad like... I don't know what's wrong with me."

"How bad is it? On a scale of 1 to 10?"

There's another few seconds of silence and Lauren closes her eyes to think.

"Eight?"

"Jesus Christ. You're lucky I love you, because that is something."

"I know! You're really making this worse for me right now."

"Okay I'm sorry, I'm sorry. What's her name? What does she look like? Is she over eighteen at least?" Normani asks, sitting uo straight and Lauren lets out a long sigh.

"Her name's Alma. She's about 5'4, blonde, curly shoulder-length hair, gorgeous blue eyes that stare deep into my soul... She's just here and she makes everything better with just a smile. Mani, I know this is crazy, I wasn't expecting it. It just happened! She was there and she looked at me and-"

"Okay shut up! I got it. You have a crush."

"On a student! This can't happen!"

"The only solution is that you have to get over her. I don't know how, maybe ignore her, be less friendly because I absolutely know for a fact that you were so nice to her because she's pretty but nope. That has to be stopped. The longer you'll take to try and make the crush disappear, the deeper you'll fall."

"But she quoted my favorite book on Instagram..." Lauren pouts, looking down.

"You stalked her?!"

"I just wanted to see! I couldn't get her out of my head, I was just trying to... I don't know what I was trying to do b-"

"Well it obviously didn't work because here you are!"

"Come on, Mani, It can't be that bad? I'm only twenty-three!"

"You trying to lose your job??"

"No! I worked hard for it!"

"Then get over her. This is serious, I know you and if you don't try and force yourself to get over her right now, you'll be out of control."

Normani's visit helps Lauren a little. Well it actually only helps her realise that she absolutely can't grow a crush on Alma, but it also makes her think of it even more, making the butterflies in her stomach grow a little more everytime her name echoes in her brain.

So on Monday morning, she gets out of bed, gets ready for school, and decides to actually take her best friend's advice for once.

She just wasn't prepared for it.