The Word That Changed Everything

When Andra awoke, she had a feeling she forgot something. When she saw everyone else already up, she realized she forgot to set her alarm! But there was something else she forgot. What was it? "Look! Andra has a book!" a boy shouted. Heads turned Andra's way. Marie woke up. "Wait what's happening?" she asked. The teacher went up to Andra. "Andra, are you a reader, or a thespian?' Andra hung her head. "A thespian." She replied.

"Then you know that reading is a very serious offense. It's another hobby. I am afraid I have no choice but to send you to the Principal's office." Marie walked over. "You're not scared!" Marie retorted. "Miss Marie-" the teacher began. "It was me!" Marie yelled. "I did it! I was reading last night!" Andra was in complete shock. "Marie!" she yelled. She couldn't let her take the blame for something Andra had done. Marie looked at her. Andra could see the pain in her eyes. "Andra, I know I promised you that I wouldn't go too far but I have to now. I need to do this for you." Marie grabbed Andra's hand. Andra was crying now. "Miss Marie, your performance was very touching, but I need to do my job. You need to go to the Principal's office." the teacher informed Marie. Marie looked the teacher in the eyes. She squeezed Andra's hand, took a deep breath, and said the word that changed everything. "No!"