c o m f o r t

»»————- ♡ ————-««

             »»————- ♡ ————-««

The forest nymph was knelt down, the bottom of her skirt wet and muddy whilst she was washing the animals that were kept in the barn. Her arms were covered with the water that was constantly travelling upwards, the afternoon breeze cooling the water and sending chills through her body.

"Finish up soon Fay, otherwise you'll get sick." She heard Joshua call from far behind. The nymph didn't respond, too engrossed in pouring water onto the baby calf.

"There you go little baby." She whispered, sending the dainty creature soft, tired eyes. It was then that she realised her arms had an uncomfortable ache to them and her knees stung when she stood up straight.

She groaned at the pain but pushed it away as she leaned down to place a chaste kiss onto the young cow's face, watching it scamper away back to its little herd.

"Nice work today." Joshua said, now beside her.

Fayette sent him a smile as she dried her wet arms on her raggedy dress. "Thanks Josh. You're too sweet."

A brief silence came over the two but it quickly passed when Fayette felt a nervous hand stroke her back. The action startled he a little bit, her eyes darting to Joshua's unsure expression.

"Can I give you a hug?" Was his awkward request.

It wasn't like they hadn't embraced each other before. Though slightly confused, the woman nodded and let herself be enveloped by his arms.

He smelt good, of greenery and pureness. It was a scent she was familiar with and was comforting to her.

Yet it was nothing more than just nice. It didn't invoke those sparkly emotions or excited butterflies within her like Draven's embrace did.

Fayette pulled away when she felt the hug went on for too long. "You're adorable Joshua. I'll see you tomorrow okay?" She giggled when she caught sight of his sheepish expression.

And with that, she walked back to her cottage.

Fayette released an exhausted sigh, she had worked exceptionally hard which was sometimes a problem. In the moment, she never realised how much things take a toll on her body until afterwards.

It was only natural. She was a forest nymph. It was in her blood to maintain the sanctity of mother nature. However, she had pushed herself a little too hard. Fayette felt as though she needed to make up for lost time.

Ever since Draven had arrived she was distracted and stopped working at her full potential. The rest of the nymphs paid no mind and let her take whatever time she needed off since they were under the assumption that she was feeling ill.

She scoffed at herself and thought back to her mother.

What would she think of you slacking off like this?