thirteen

The water in the bathtub remains lukewarm. The water ripples and soap bubbles on the surface of the water are appealing. He sighs despite the silence in the room, those thoughts keep coming back. In his consciousness, past events repeat themselves rhythmically. The touches they left, the words they said, have been imprinted. A few years have passed by, still, they never leave his mind. 

He takes in slow breathes and finally forces himself down. The water slowly swallows him, his head completely submerged into the water. He doesn't do anything for a few seconds, simply prevails to lie there. The faint beating of his heart is persistent, reminding him to take a deep breath. It's time to break the surface of the water and calm his nerves. Except he remains underwater, his insides on fire as they plead for air. 

A few moments more could not harm, yet his body jolts up, as he gasps for air, coughing all the water out. He closes his eyes, trying to calm his nerves. He knows it's useless. He should be getting up and reaching out for his inhaler. 

There are times like this when he wants to end it all. What's the use of this hopeless agony.

After calming his senses and clearing his thoughts, he clutches his phone, calling the first person who comes to his mind. 

Such a tragic circumstance it truly is, the world views him like a piece of art, sculpted without a speck of imperfection still on the inside; he seems way too broken, similar being as the once fallen angel from heaven.

....

Yoongi sits in the car, expecting Seokjin to come down of the building. He feels sweat build under his arms due to his anxiety. Knowing that Jin had to visit the hospital a few days ago makes his nerves race. He silently prays its nothing serious though deep down he knows, it could be as it was ten at night. 

When Jin called, Yoongi expected to hear his honey voice, instead came out long gasps of air. He listened to Jin ramble for a while. Jin requested Yoongi to come over and take him to the hospital. Weird darkness of anonymity formed in his thoughts.

He held the door open and turns to perceive Jin enter the car. Yoongi's breath hitches as he makes eye contact with him. Due to the lack of lighting in the car, he doesn't mind if Jin sees his worried expression.

Seokjin's round cheeks are hollowed, making it bony, his eyes swollen and hair damp, sticking to his forehead. He wears a white sweatshirt slightly drenched, hugging his clad body with black sweat pants.                                                                                                                                                                          

Seokjin doesn't have the energy to talk; he looks over at Yoongi. He starts the vehicle, and they drive towards the city. The car ride continues to be silent for a long time, none of them making an effort to talk.

"I would have called Namjoon, but he was out with Taehyung. I am sorry." Seokjin speaks his delicate voice, cutting the tranquillity in the car.

"Don't be sorry. I told you that I will always be there for you. You can call me whenever you want." Yoongi replies to his awareness, never neglecting the road. He doesn't want to be distracted by how fragile Jin seems to look. Neither does he want Jin to think that Yoongi pities him. 

"Well, you never told me." Seokjin smiles modestly, his arms resting on his side.

"I might have told you that, in a dream." Yoongi thinks about it, after returning Seokjin a sarcastic smile, "Well now you know." 

"Agh, I will try to remember, what you say to me in my dreams next time." Seokjin decides to play along.

He couldn't lie. If anyone asked him, 'did your heart flutter at Yoongi's choice of words?'

His answer would be yes. They did

"What triggered it? The attack." Yoongi asks, his voice gentle. Jin's eyes don't leave Yoongi's face, yet no answer comes from him.

Seokjin reaches over and switches on the radio. Deja Vu by Soak plays on the radio. The song has that sense of feeling where you are lost, but don't want to revert to your home the kind of melody that causes heartbreak a little less painful.

Yoongi bites the inside of his cheeks. He tends his head sidelong to view Jin. He has the window rolled down and appears dazed out while studying the passing skyscrapers. His hair whirls in the opposite inclination. Yoongi can comprehend the tears threatening to fall anytime from Jin's eyes. 

He settles the car at the red light. He decides to express. Is it the wind or the song playing? He places his hand between them and waits for Seokjin to peer at him. 

"Hold my hand," Yoongi demands, his heart beating faster than the car's engine.

"What?" Seokjin asks to zone back from his dreamy world.

"Just do what I say. And don't make it awkward. You better not leave my hand till I tell you." Yoongi asserts, his voice commanding.

Seokjin timidly places his hand on Yoongi's soft ones. The feeling of such softness and wholeness disperses affection in his chest. He immediately presses their hands tighter, containing his breath at how fragile and firm they feel. It is as if it is the first time he holds someone's hand. 

The verse proceeds to an end. Jin reduces the volume of the song. The signal turns green, proffering Yoongi to push the accelerator. 

"I was bathing and I forgot to breathe." Jin sighs dramatically.

"What?" Yoongi asks, his eyes accusing. "Are you making shit up? Cause boy, I was going to sleep, and as soon as you called, I rushed here as my life depended on it." Yoongi chuckles, looking down at what he is wearing. A black hoodie and grey sweats.

"Believe me, I was sitting in the bathtub, and I didn't realize when I moved down." Jin tries to sound casual, except his voice shudders at the memory.

"You need to be more cautious because of those respiratory problems." Yoongi's tone sounds dejected. It irks him at how Jin seems to be careless. 

"Alright, I promise you that I will take care." He brings their hands closer to him; they rest on his lap. 

"I don't want empty promises." Yoongi retorts before he can reconstruct the sentence. He doesn't intend to be blunt. However, Jin smiles at him kindly. 

Yoongi savors how Seokjin's large hands grasp against his. He wants to stay like that. 

"I could never, to you," Jin replies, his voice barely above a whisper.

They reach the hospital, and Seokjin makes his way towards the doctor's office. They immediately admitted him for carrying out some examinations and diagnoses.

All this while, Yoongi never drops Seokjin's hand. And that causes his heart to perceive a lot of things.

If I ever fall in love with a boy Min Yoongi, I hope it's going to be you. 

A/N: 1166 words 🧚