XIV. The Question

Lena, Melany, Janna, and Judith sat on the small sofa by the desk, with Dai sitting in the desk chair. Max slept soundly on Dai's bed, with the ice Gifted looking behind to check on him every so often.

"Well, there goes classes," Janna sighed, "We're gonna have to submit absence reports."
"Great," Melany groaned, "I have never skipped classes before. I feel a little guilty."
"You and me both," Dai agreed.
"School's a little overrated anyway," Lena uttered, "Besides, Max's health came first."
"How is he?" Judith asked.
Dai looked behind him, to see Max turning over on his other side.
"I think he's slowly waking up," he reported.
"Good," Melany said, "Well, Lena, it was nice to see you, but the girls and I should probably get caught up on what we missed today."
Lena nodded at her, "It was good to see you too."
"Are you guys coming to the dance this weekend?" Melany asked further.
"I've been... thinking about it," Lena paused, thinking of Jace.
"Same for me," Dai put in.
"Well, I hope to see you guys there, if not before!" Melany smiled, "Janna, Judith, let's go."
The three girls said their goodbyes and left the dorm room, leaving Lena and Dai alone with Max.

Suddenly, a knock came at the door.
Dai looked at Lena, who just shrugged.
He got up, went over, and opened the door, only to find Matthew and Martha Charmaine on the other side, with Melany and her friends looking bewildered behind them.

"Is... Maxwell here..." Matthew said disdainfully.
Dai ignored the less-than-pleasant tone of voice.
"He was acting sick during homeroom so we brought him here," he explained, "We gave him water and let him rest."
Matthew practically shoved Dai out of the way and entered along with his sister, finding their brother tossing and turning on Dai's bed.

"We will take it from here," Martha said, looking back at Dai.
"Hey-" Lena started, "He's still-"
"I said," Martha asserted to the redhead, "We will take it from here."
The two pulled Max up on his feet and guided him out into the hall. Dai and Lena exited after them, and alongside Melany, Janna, and Judith, watched the three siblings make their way down the stairs.

"Oh my..." Judith uttered, breaking the stunned silence.
Dai and Lena just looked at each other, worried.

🥀

Dai had met up with Kai and Luke outside in the garden. Alongside other young Gifted, they traversed the walkways, surrounded by much hedge art, rows of flowers, and other foliage arrangements.

"You?" Luke was asking, "Skip class? Now I've seen it all."
"Max looked like he was ready to pass out," Dai asserted, "Lena and I couldn't just... pretend nothing was happening!"
"Of course not," Kai soothed, "But, the way his siblings came for him is... strange."
"He told me the issues with his mom," Dai added, "That, coupled with what's been happening since she became acting headmistress, just keeps confirming my suspicion that that family isn't right."
"You mentioned Judith saying she saw him with his mom the first day he was absent?" Kai asked.
Dai nodded.
"Weird," Kai said thoughtfully.
"You'll probably see him at the dance," Luke said, "...Maybe you could ask him to dance and that'll give you two a chance to catch up."
"Or," Dai countered, "I could just pull him aside and talk to him like any regular person would."
"Mhm," Luke sneered.
Kai chuckled while Dai just crossed his arms.

"Speaking of the dance," Kai said, "Luke, you going?"
"Duh!" Luke said excitedly, "I wouldn't miss a party for the world!"
"Got anyone you wanna ask?" Kai asked with a smirk.
"...I was thinking of asking Aria," Luke blushed.
"Oh ho ho," Kai heckled, "Finally getting the ball rolling?"
Luke just laughed, "And what about you? You and Judith?"
"Oh, it's been decided for a while that we were going together," Kai said.

The three stopped by a bed of yellow tulips. Dai looked down at them as his brother and friend kept talking.
A thought struck him, and he looked nervously from side to side.
Kai noticed his panicky look, "Whatcha thinking about?"
Dai just looked at him apprehensively, then looked down at the yellow tulips.
Kai and Luke both looked down at the flowers.
"The flowers?" Kai asked.
"I thought..." Dai started, "No, nevermind, it's a dumb idea."
Kai looked perplexed, then he realized.
"You want to get Max some flowers, don't you?"
Dai didn't reply.
"But you're scared to take these 'cause they belong to New Haven's garden."
Dai still stayed silent.

Kai and Luke both just laughed.

🥀

Meanwhile, Aria was braiding Raina's hair in their dorm room, with Lena sitting at the desk with many worksheets.
"Ugh," she grumbled, "Why did my teachers pick today to assign every assignment ever?"
"Maybe because you skipped class," Raina suggested bluntly.
"It was for a good reason, how many times do I have to tell you?" Lena asked.
"Oh shush," Aria huffed, "I think what you and Dai did for Max is very admirable and kind."
"Thank you, Aria," Lena exasperated.
"Have you heard from him?" Aria asked.
"...No, nothing."
"I see..."

Just then, a knock came at the door.
"I'll get it," Lena said, getting up and walking past where the other two sat on Aria's bed.

She opened the door, and stepped back in surprise, for Jace was standing on the other side.
"Oh- hey," he said.
"Uh, hi," Lena said, managing a small smile, "Erm... what are you doing here, Jace?"
"I kinda... talked to Kai about something yesterday and... I just wanted to come by and ask if... you wanted to go to the winter dance with me this weekend...?"
Lena's eyebrows rose in surprise, with the question also catching the attention of Raina and Aria from within the room.

"Uh... yeah, I... I think I'm available," Lena said, leaning against the wall, awkwardly stuffing her hands in her pockets, "You know, I got stuff going on, so, I might be able to fit... you in."
Jace blinked, "Cool...! Well, thanks for... accepting."
"No... problem," Lena replied.
An awkward silence ensued.
"Well, uh... I guess I'll get going, then..." Jace said, "Hey Aria, hey Raina, see you guys!"
"Bye, Jace!" Aria called from within.
"See ya," Raina said.

Jace then bowed his head slightly at Raina before scampering off down the hall.
Lena stepped back inside her dorm room and closed the door.

"Wow," Raina said, "You two really are hopeless."
"Shut up," Lena huffed.
"I can't lie..." Aria interceded, "That was a bit cringy... but at least you have a date with him now!"
"It's not a date!" Lena countered, "It's just... two friends going to a party."
"Right," Raina rolled her eyes, "And I'm The Heat."
Lena blushed and glared at Raina.
Aria just chuckled as Lena returned to the desk. Even though she didn't want the others to see, she did allow herself to smile for a moment.