Chapter 15

Song: 'All of the above' by T Carter

I could see it in your eyes
From the moment we first met
There was something different about you
I couldn't see myself without you

Now I know what it is
That makes me love you like I do
It's all that I've been longing for
I don't have to look for it anymore

You give me something to believe in
A hope that I can build on
A trust and a devotion
I'm caught up in emotion...

Will I walk beside you
Will I give my heart away
Will I hold you in my arms at night
Will I bow my head and pray

Will I promise to be faithful
Will I do this every single day
Will I be there to protect you
Will I keep the vow I've made

Will I give you all of my love
I say yes...to all of the above...

..............................................

ELIJAH'S POV

Life is unpredictable.

It has some not so humble ways to remind you that you don't control it.

It controls you.

It has made me stand in a place where I swore to myself four years ago that I'll never set a foot, again.

A church altar.

I promised myself I'll never be in this position, ever again.

Where I wait for someone... for marriage.

Yet, here I am, standing in a small church, about to marry the girl I hate.

Waiting...

What a weird word it is.

We wait for different things in life, some of them we thrive for and some of them we just want to get done with. It's not easy in both the cases, it's an anticipation that can excite you for what you've desired will finally be yours, or it can be depressive as you know something unwanted, but inevitable is coming.

But what if you're waiting for someone?

What if your anticipation turns into a never-ending longing?

You await someone on the other side of the aisle, unable to hold yourself as the excitement of finally having them with you forever surge through you, unexplainable happiness that's worth the wait, and yet they don't come... they'll never come.

What if the only person you ever wanted to be with, stood you up and leave you all on your own for the rest of your life as the darkness consumes you whole? Wrecked and vulnerable without them by your side for as long as you live.

Have you ever loved someone so much that even though, you know they'll never be with you again, still every inch of you craves for them, wishes for them? Just what you won't give to hold them one last time, or to just say goodbye... if only you knew.

I have.

The last time life took the reins from my hands, it turned upside down. The bitter flashbacks made their way to my mind, and I clenched my fists and closed my eyes, still unable to deal with the pain they cause. I closed my eyes as pitch-black darkness engulfed me as the scene of that dreadful day four years ago played in front of my eyes and shook my entity to its core and I shivered. I opened my eyes with a gasp as I breathed heavily as if my whole body was on fire. I took deep breaths and tried to calm myself, ignoring all the emotions.