six

{ chapter six  ~ can I have this dance }

"A ball?" Peter questioned as he walked Edmund and Lucy home from school. "It's a charity event, we thought it would be cool if you and Mila went," Lucy told him, her eyes on the group of boys who stood ahead. "And maybe, you know... Pop the big question?" Edmund grinned, he had known of Peter's plans for weeks now. "It's a costume themed ball, Pete. Victorian style... the costumes remind me of Narnia. Come on, won't she love it, Lu!" Edmund spoke quickly, almost as if to drill the idea into Peter's head. "Lu?" Edmund turned, quite annoyed that his sister didn't reply. "Yeah, yeah she will." She mumbled, her eyes still watching the handsome group of boys from Edmund's year. "Absolutely not." He simply muttered before harshly pulling Lucy to walk another way, Peter sluggishly followed behind.

Mila sipped on her latte as she interestingly listened to Susan babble about the holiday she had just come home from with her boyfriend. He seemed nice, perfect for Susan. "I'm happy for you Su." She honestly said, a content smile on her face as she watched the girl blush. "So what about you and Peter?" Susan asked, causing Mila to furrow her thick brows in confusion. "Me and Peter?" She questioned, Susan simply nodded. "We're fine. Living alone has its perks, I don't have Edmund constantly asking for money and I always know where my makeup is since Lucy isn't there to steal it..." she laughed, "But I do miss seeing them all the time." She took another sip of the slowly growing cold latte. "How is living with James?" Susan smiled at the mention of her love. "Splendid." She giggled, obviously not wanting to reveal more.

The loud and obnoxious arguing from Lucy and Edmund Pevensie could've been heard from a mile away. "Honestly will you two shut up!" Peter shouted, which caused Susan and Mila to laugh before they had even caught sight of the three. "What are you two fighting about now?" Mila called as Lucy rushed to the girl's sides. "Boys," Edmund shouted. Mila snorted. "Frankly Ed, Lucy is at an age now where she can get a boyfriend." Edmund shook his head, Peter following quickly. "No, she can't." He said. "She's a child." Lucy groaned, "I'm 15!" Edmund nodded, "See, a child."

Mila and Peter parted ways with the small family after a few coffees and snacks. Mila had thrown herself onto the sofa, not caring about the hard pillows that lay beneath. "I got these," Peter said, holding two tickets in his right hand as he leaned over his half asleep girlfriend. She shifted her eyes from the cream coloured sofa to the two paper objects in his hand. "Tickets? Are we going to the theatre or something?" She mumbled, just wanting to sleep. "No, even better." He told her as he knelt in front of her pale face. "Ed and Lucy's schools are holding a charity ball. It's themed." He smiled, "I bought us outfits, they're in our closet."

Now at the sound of outfits, Mila has leapt to her feet, there was nothing, and I mean nothing, more important than a new outfit. Well, Peter was a close second. Peter followed her, he chuckled at the sight of her skipping up the stairs like a toddler, her slightly dirty hair bouncing on her shoulders with each step she took. She hummed a song as she continued to skip to the two's shared bedroom. The large built-in closet held such a beauty even though it was simple, yet Mila's close she had spent so much money on making it just as special as her ball gown room back in Cair Paravel. "The theme is Narnia?" She questioned, her eyes scouting the two beautiful outfits. They matched perfectly, hers a soft sage green, Peter's a more emerald but the two fit like lock and key. "Not quite, Edmund said the theme was the Victorian Era." Mila nodded, her eyes focused on the stunning silk and lace of the dress. "Victoria was that Princess." Peter shook his head, "Queen." He corrected. "But still, they're very Narnian looking aren't they." Mila grinned as she turned around to lightly peck her boyfriend. "Very. They're beautiful Peter thank you." The eldest Pevensie held her tightly, the two rocked slowly side to side. "You are very welcome, my love."