three

{ chapter three  ~  the real adventure begins }

{ chapter three ~ the real adventure begins }

The light summer wind blew a soft breeze through the locks of each of the Pevensies. Queen Mila walked ahead, her eyes wandering in all of the new elements of her home. It seemed different, yet the place felt so familiar, but Mila had witnessed Narnia change countless times. The girl allowed her feet to take her to countless flower beds, the colours of yellow and red being her favourite once more. Her smile was truly breathtaking. "I haven't seen you smile like that in a while." Peter pointed out as he took the girl's hand. "This one?" She asked, flashing her pearly whites. "This smile is reserved for Narnia." The group laughed at how excited she was to be home. "Aren't you disappointed? Narnia isn't like how it was?" Edmund asked which caused Mila to shake her head, "Narnia is always Narnia, Ed. Narnia will always be home, even if it has changed." She grinned at him before throwing her arm over his shoulder, "Besides, it could've been snowing." She chuckled.

Mila walked beside Susan and Lucy as the boys trekked through the unknown of the forest. Or Western Wood as it would have previously been known. "I hope we see Aslan soon," Lucy told the two girls. "Maybe he can tell us what happened." Mila agreed. "Maybe he can explain why we've been called back. Although, it is rather exciting being home." That word. Home. She kept mentioning it. Peter kept noticing. She never called Finchley home. But to him, she seemed to like it enough.

Mila, once again, walked hand in hand with Peter. "Are you glad to be back, my Queen, my wife?" He said as he pulled her closer, "I can finally call you that without getting weird stares." Mila snuggled herself into his side as they walked, "I've missed this, being here I mean. Spending all of my time with you. My King." She smiled. "But I do wonder why we're back." The High King nodded, "We'll find out soon. "Hopefully," Mila whispered, as the five began their hike up a sandy dune.

Mila gasped as she saw a dwarf being hauled into a river on the other side of the dune. Many of the Dwarves had begun to follow alongside Narnia after the destruction of the White Witch. And although Mila didn't know if the dwarf had done a crime, he was a Narnian and he would be able to help them. She watched as Susan pulled out her bow and perfectly landed an arrow on the boat of the men. "Drop Him!" She called as she shot another arrow, this one slightly missing one of the armoured men's heads. Mila raised an eyebrow slightly as the two men threw the dwarf into the depths of the glistening treacherous water. The girls remained poised at the top of the sand as Peter and Edmund rushed to help the slowly sinking dwarf. "Hit him," Mila whispered to Susan. "Don't kill him, just injure him so whoever they are get scared." Susan pulled back another arrow as she carelessly shot an arrow into the shoulder of one of the soldiers. The girls watched as the other jumped into the water and the two swam quickly to safety. "Best Archer in Narnia," Mila smirked as she turned to the girl who gave a small curtsy, a large grin on her face. "Still got it." Susan smartly replied, which caused the three girls to laugh.

As soon as the soaking wet boys dragged the boat and the dwarf to shore. Lucy quickly knelt beside him to cut the creature free from his restraints. Mila frowned at how furious he looked. "Drop him!" Shouted the small dwarf. "Drop him?" He repeated. "That's the best you could come up with?" Susan stuttered slightly but remained tall like the Queen she had grown to be. "A simple thank you would suffice." She told him. Mila raised an eyebrow. "They were doing fine drowning me without your help!" He angrily told the group. Mila scoffed, "Maybe we should have let them." She told him. "I'll grab his legs, Ed. Come on, we'll put him back in the water." The family grinned at her cockiness. "Let's see how well he does on his own." She snarled. Lucy stepped forwards, her pleasant and sweet smile etched upon her face. "Why were they trying to kill you anyway?" She asked. "They're Telmarines. That's what they do." He told them. Mila frowned, wondering why but Edmund beat her to it. "Telmarines? In Narnia?" He questioned. The dwarf, who was still catching his breath turned to the five. "Where have you been for the past thirteen hundred years?" Mila bit her lip, thirteen hundred years. She had been away for thirteen hundred years? No wonder her home seemed so different. It had been geographically torn to pieces. That's something she had learned in Finchley. "It's a bit of a long story." Lucy chuckled.

Mila, who held Peter's sword, handed it back to him. The dwarf followed the piece of weaponry like a vulture watching its prey. "You've got to be kidding me!" He groaned, "Your it? Your the Kings and Queens of Old!" Peter nodded as he stepped forward, his hand ready to be greeted by the smaller one of the dwarf. "High King Peter, the Magnificent." Mila chuckled slightly, although she enjoyed Peter taking his authoritative role series, his title sounded strange coming from the mouth of a fifteen year old. "You could have probably left out the last bit." She told him, their hands still joined. The dwarf chuckled, "Yeah, probably." The King stepped back slightly. "You might be surprised." He said as he unsheathed his sword. "Oh, you don't want to do that boy." Peter shook his head, "Not me." He tilted his head to Edmund. "Him." Mila groaned. "How come you picked Ed? I wanted a go." The Dwarf chuckled, "I wouldn't fight a Queen, anyway." He told her, his head bowing in a polite sort of way. The Queen chuckled, "Have it your way then." Mila watched as Edmund unsheathed his own sword as the dwarf took Peter's. He dropped it slightly which caused the cocky Edmund to grin. Mila saw right through this, "Don't be cocky Edmund." She warned him, but the boy didn't listen as he chuckled to Peter. That's when the dwarf suddenly grew skilled.

And the score was King,  zero - Dwarf one.

edited - 20/04/2023