sixteen

{ chapter sixteen  ~  an overdue catchup }

Queen Mila and King Peter stood hand in hand as they watched Edmund, Glenstorm and two other Narnian soldiers leave their camp. Mila was offered to go, Peter trusted she would be safe with Ed, but the young Queen decided against it. She remained hand in hand with her husband, her small fingers playing with his wedding ring as the two watched the group walk out of sight. "You're nervous," Peter said as he turned to the one he loved. Mila shook her head, "No I'm not." She replied, "Yes you are, you always play with my ring, or yours when you're nervous." He smiled, a blush forming on his cheeks because he always thought the movement was cute. "What's worrying you, darling?" Mila shrugged, "Nothing, nothing." She glanced back to Trumpkin, Trufflehunter, and Caspian. "Anyway, you have to go prepare for a one on one battle, especially since Miraz will not pass the offer. And I, have a well overdue catch up with Susan and Lu." An audible groan from Susan was heard, as was a squeal from Lucy as she knew the conversation was about boys. "We'll talk soon," Mila told her husband as she kissed his cheek and rushed towards the two girls.

The three walked, hand in hand a little away from the camp, but close enough to hear if anyone called for them. They skipped, laughter filling the air, well Lucy and Mila skipped, and Susan was somewhat dragged behind the two laughing girls, attempting to make conversation about anything that had nothing to do with a certain Prince. Mila threw herself to the grass, patting the spots next to her where Lucy and Susan soon accompanied her. "So, tell me." The eldest Queen squealed. "There's nothing to tell." Susan simply replied as she lay on her back, looking at the clouds. "Nothing to tell," Mila shouted. "That's a lie! Talk to me about Caspian!" Mila and Lucy stared at Susan until she finally gave a sigh. "He's nice and handsome, but there's nothing going on. We haven't even had a conversation that doesn't include battle talk." Lucy rolled her eyes, "Then make a move Su!" Mila agreed, but Susan shook her head. "No, that's wrong. Boys have to make the first move!" Mila rolled her eyes, "This isn't Finchley, Su, stop waiting around for him to ask you to tea. It's not going to happen, he has too much going on. Besides Narnian boys prefer when you make the first move! They like a challenge." She winked before breaking down into a fit of laughter that Lucy soon joined. "Caspian isn't Narnian," Susan stated. "He's more Narnian that Telmarine, and that's a fact!" Susan blushed a deep red. "You like him!!" Mila squealed, "You definitely fancy him!" Susan put her hands to her face in an attempt to conceal her glowing red cheeks. "Will you two leave me alone if I admit it?" Lucy and Mila began nodding their heads so quickly they might have fallen off if they weren't attached. "Okay, maybe I like him a teeny, tiny, tinsy bit." Screams, and squeals erupted almost instantly. "I knew it!" Mila shouted, "Ever since the day you two looked at each other when we met!" Lucy and Susan watched as Mila threw herself back into the luscious, green grass, "Love at first sight! True love!" She sighed, her mind content. "Oh, and you'd know all about true love." Susan finally teased, something she always did, especially back at Cair Paravel. Susan knew one mention of true love and Peter, Mila would be as red as a fresh cherry on top of a cold, delicious sundae.

Now it was Mila's time to blush, "You don't get to tease me about Peter! We've been married nearly 10 years!" The girls suddenly stopped giggling. "It's already been nearly 10 years since you two married?" Susan suddenly said, flabbergasted at how long they were technically in Narnia for, the first time around. Mila nodded, "Pretty weird to think about considering we're 15... again." She looked at her ring, "It would be 10 years on the second Saturday of next month." They all stared in disbelief. They had already lived their teenage and young adult years, Mila was married and had been pregnant, Susan had been engaged, Lucy had potential suitors and a secret(not so secret) kitchen boy boyfriend, they'd already had all of the girl chats throughout their teenage years and all the boy gossips and relaxing day outs. They'd lived through it all, and they were right back at the beginning of it all. "Oh wow," Lucy began, "We've lived through a lot." Mila chuckled, "Yeah, for a 10 year old!" She laughed causing the three to once again end up in a giggle fit. They had missed this, talking and chatting for hours on end about anything and everything, boarding school and homework kind of got in the way of that in Finchley.

They talked some more until Mila saw a familiar boy. "Ed's back." She smiled, their girl's day leaning to a close. "We should probably go see what's happening next." Susan sighed as she dusted the grass from her skirt. Mila nodded, as she hauled Lucy onto her back. "We should do weekly things like this when we end up going home," Susan mentioned as they made their way toward Edmund and his group. "We could have tea and scones at the café in the village." Mila nodded, "That sounds lovely." She replied, Lucy nodded, "I'd like that Su." The three girls quickened their pace as the boys all formed. "So, are we sticking with the original plan?" Mila asked as she and the girls were reunited with the boys. Peter nodded, "Miraz agreed. We go ahead with the plan early tomorrow." Mila faked a smile, "Hopefully everything goes well." She stated, "Everything will be fine, love, we planned everything out sufficiently, this time." she nodded. "We better get an early night then." She told everyone as the sun set behind them, rays of orange and pink coating the sky. At least the beautiful sight calmed her nerves.

Edited - 20/04/2023