fifteen

{ chapter fifteen  ~  a fallen queen }

{ chapter fifteen ~ a fallen queen }

A gasp escaped the young Queens mouth as she broke free from the depths of the shimmering waters. Mila gasped for air as she floated in the clutch of the sapphires blue and beautiful, yet terrifying trap. She floated above the water for a few simple seconds as she gained back her breath. The sun shone brightly on her soaking wet figure as she floated above the water. She was alive. Thankfully...

She pulled herself out of the river, her dress heavy from the water, as if it was trying to keep her captive within its depths. She still wore the battered and beaten armour that had grown heavy on her petite and aching chest. A sigh escaped her pursed lips, as did a chuckle. Mila didn't actually believe she would be able to reach the surface in time. Her head was still spinning in circles and her body ached, but she was alive and that was all that mattered.

The young Queen began her hike, in a direction that could have been wrong but she strongly hoped it wasn't. Walking was something she enjoyed and hated. Mila loved walking around the beautiful gardens of Cair Paravel or walking down the River Rush. Something she didn't like, was walking through the woods alone, that's what she used horses for, a companion and a quick and easy ride.

She sighed, bored of walking, tired of walking. "I better not be going the wrong way." She groaned as she plonked herself down onto a rock. "Ughh," she groaned again, "You can't give up, Mila, you can't!" She muttered your herself. 

"Have hope, dear one!" A voice spoke from behind her. Mila turned a large grin on her face. "Aslan!" A large and courageous lion stood before her, his mane more golden than she remembered, and his smile one that welcomed her. "Is that really you, Aslan?" He nodded, Mila let out a sigh of relief as she rushed towards the lion, "I thought I'd never see you again!" She smiled as she hugged him, her hands rushing through his mane. "And I thought I'd never see you giving up, dear one. A Jones, nor a Pevensie ever gives up." Aslan spoke with such strength. "I don't know which way to go, I'm lost." Aslan smiled, "You and Peter are destined to be together, dear one. Whichever path you take, will lead you to him, you just have to have hope and be patient."

Mila jolted suddenly. The words of Aslan rang in her ear. "It was a dream." She whispered into the cold, early morning air. "But he was right," she mumbled as he pulled herself up. "Peter and I are destined to be together." A smile formed on her face as she discarded the metal armour that still clung to her chest. She then set afoot, knowing whichever direction she walked in, it would lead her right to Peter...

Although in pain, she joyfully carried on walking, knowing she'd soon reach home. Home to the Pevensies and the Narnians. A voice up ahead caused her to stop suddenly. Mila hauled herself behind a tree quickly. The voice came from a Telmarine Soldier. A Telmar soldier that observed the Narnian camp. Mila stood silently, waiting for the soldier to leave. The sound of hooves distancing only moments later pleased her as she stepped out from her hiding place.

She quickened her pace as she approached the caves that concealed her family, her Kingdom. Her damp hair clung to her as she ran. The sight of a faun rushing to her aid caused her to slow down, not wanting to harm her body any more than she already had with all of the running. "My Queen, your alive." He gasped in awe as he took one of her arms to lift some weight from her aching body. "If I'm honest, I'm quite surprised myself." She replied back as the two walked back to the camp.

Mila was left alone at the front of the cave as the faun returned to his post. Her polite orders, that he was quick to follow. She didn't want to be announced as she entered the cave. She wanted to wait a while, gain the words to say. After a long wait outside, she finally took a breath and decided to enter the camp. "Cakes and Kettledrums, that's your next big plan?" She heard Trumpkin's voice as she entered the camp, and made her way down toward the voice. "Sending a little girl into the darkest parts of the forest? Alone!" Mila could see the group as they crowded, she remained back in the dark, not knowing how she should announce herself. She wasn't sure, 'Hello, look who's alive' would be good enough. "It's our only chance." Peter returned, "And she won't be alone." Susan reassured. "Haven't enough of us died already?" Trumpkin whispered as he stood before Lucy. "Nikabrik was my friend too, but he lost hope." She seemed to have missed a lot. "Queen Lucy hasn't, and neither have I. And we all know Queen Mila wouldn't have lost hope either." Trufflehunter said, which caused the young, worn out Queen to smile. "We have to hold them off until Lucy and Susan get back," Peter said. Mila was about to step out from the darkness when Caspian spoke, in a small voice but one with confidence and intelligence, "If I may... Miraz may be a tyrant and a murderer, but as King, he is subject to the traditions and expectations of his people. There is one particular that may buy us some time."

Mila listened to the plan, interested in Peter and Caspian actually getting along and if she was honest, she didn't want to ruin something that looked so sweet, but she had to reveal herself somehow. "If I may." She cleared her throat and stepped out from the darkness. "Miraz believes he has a victory over us Narnians, little does he know the Queen he had drowned is still alive and somewhat well." She said. A smile on her face as each of the Narnians and the Pevensies stared at her. "You didn't think Mila Pevensie would go down that easily did you?" She chuckled with open arms as Peter, Susan, Lucy, and Edmund rushed towards her.

"You're alive!" Lucy shouted, tears now streaming down each of the small family members' cheeks. "Of course I'm alive, now tell me, what have I missed?" They all began speaking about the plan and the betrayal and Jadis' almost return and she was pretty disappointed she had missed out on such action but she was happy to be back. "I'm sorry for going against your wishes Peter." She finally said, in more of a hushed whisper but everyone heard. The High King didn't answer, instead, he kissed her softly and held her close, "You're never leaving my side ever again, do you hear me?" He said through cloudy eyes, "If that's an order I wouldn't count on it remaining Pete." Edmund laughed as he punched the girl's shoulder. "Ow." She groaned, even though the boy only hurt her a tiny bit. "Don't even think about running off into battle and dying on me ever again Mi! Where would I be without my partner in crime?" Edmund told her firmly. Mila shrugged as she leaned her head against Peter's shoulder. "I'm surprised you lasted this long without me. If I'm honest I thought I'd find you lying drunk in a ditch like I used to in Cair Paravel." She burst into a fit of laughter at Edmund's face. "That was one time Mila! One time!" The Pevensies and the remaining Narnians chatted and ended up in casual banter as they discussed their plan. Deeply and thoroughly like Mila has constantly been saying. "It's good to have you back, Your Majesty," Caspian said as he handed Mila a blanket and a washcloth as they still discussed their battle plan. "Please, Caspian, call me Mila. We're all friends here."

Caspian smiled, he had heard such stories of Queen Mila's kindness, and he was happy he was able to witness her being the Queen he looked up to as a child. And although he said he regretted calling the Kings and Queens of Old, he definitely didn't. In fact, he was happy he had friends his age, friends who were willing to do anything for him and their Kingdom. He had finally understood the ruling. And wanted to rule just like the Pevensies.

Edited - 20/04/2023