twenty one

{ chapter twenty one  ~  a tough decision to make }

{ chapter twenty one ~ a tough decision to make }

Hand in hand, Mila and Peter made their way across the, now calm, waters to Aslan. A smile formed instantly on Mila's face as she drew closer. She watched him, her dark eyes clinging to his beautiful fur. Aslan, the saviour. Of course, it was definitely him, she'd never have her doubts but she had to lay eyes on him properly. She instantly bowed, alongside, Susan, Peter, Edmund and Caspian. Being respectful to the all-mighty of course. "Rise, Kings and Queens of Narnia." He spoke, his angelic yet powerful voice simply confirmed him properly for Mila as she rose. The little bruising to her hand also told her she wasn't dreaming this time. "All of you," Aslan spoke as Caspian still bowed to him, his knee still firmly resting on the stony beach. "I do not think I'm ready." He honestly spoke. "It is for that very reason, I know you are," Aslan told him, which caused the boy to nervously stand up. He glanced at each of his friends, Mila's grin widening as he looked at her, "Who would've thought, little Prince Caspian. Becoming a King of Narnia." She chuckled. He rolled his eyes, "I'm beginning to get used to your sarcastic ways." He replied, a chuckle following his words quickly.

Bagpipes began playing as the mouse musketeers brought in their fallen soldier. Reepicheep. Lucy hurriedly gave him her saving elixir, which instantly brought him back from the dead. "Thank you, Your Majesty." He spoke as he sat up, the mouse's eyes widening at the moment as he faced his idol. "Uh... oh! Hail, Aslan? It is a great honour to be in..." he spoke confidently before stumbling, and realising he was missing his tail. "I'm completely out of countenance." He spoke. Mila's chuckle only received a half-jokingly glare from the small soldier. "Don't be dramatic Reep." She muttered. "I regret that I must withdraw, as the tail is the honour and glory of a mouse." He said, placing his sword on the floor. Aslan shook his mane. "Not for the sake of your dignity." He replied as each mouse readied to cut off their own tails for their chief. "But for the love of your people," Aslan said breathily, which restored Reepicheep's prized possession, his tail.

Mila leant backwards against Peter's chest as the two rode horseback together. The cheering of their people made them grin as they slowly galloped behind Caspian, a newly crowned King of Narnia. "I've missed this," Peter whispered as he steered the horse but also held Mila by her petite waist. "I've missed being close to you, without worrying. Being back here, with you. With my Queen." Mila hummed. "Narnia holds the beauty of our love, one Finchley cannot. We married here and almost had a child here. The majority of our memories are here Peter. And I will cherish them." She told him. "As will I, my darling." He whispered to her, his soft lips kissing her forehead and then her cheek. Which caused many people to cheer at the sight of the small affection.

Night fell quickly, and a celebration began at the new Narnian Castle. Mila attended the celebration, she had an extraordinary time. Dancing with her husband, laughing and drinking with Edmund, chatting eagerly with Susan and Lucy - it reminded her of being in Cair Paravel. 

The day of the Pevensies leaving came after, the morning was bright, with a spectacular sunrise like no other. Mila asked for Aslan's presence after he spoke with Susan and Peter, she knew what about. However, she still needed to speak with the caring lion.

"I can sense your stress, dear one," Aslan spoke, his eyes watching as Mila paced. She stopped before turning to the lion. Her tears fell quickly, with possibly no chance of stopping them. "What do I do Aslan?" She cried. The Hopeful Queen sank to the floor, her hands on her face as she sobbed quietly. Aslan joined her side, and he lay down, comforting her as her sobs slowly ceased. "They won't return after today. Peter and Susan." She told him, which he nodded at; obviously knowing as he was the one who told her. "Narnia's my home. I feel like myself when I'm here, I can be who I was born to be. But without Peter can I still be that? If I choose to stay here will I ever see him again? If I choose to go, I won't return." Aslan listened as she vented, many questions escaping her lips in a hurry. "Mila, you and Peter are destined. Whether you choose to stay or leave, remember that." The Queen let out a shaky breath. "But we returned thirteen hundred years later..." he shook his mane, "You and Peter will grow together, your destiny is still in the works, my dear." Mila wiped her tears. "So I could be here for hundreds of years? But only grow two or three?" The lion nodded. "Is that the life I want? I'd be in Narnia but do I really want to watch my friends and people die around me because I simply prefer it here? Would it be selfish to ask Peter to stay? Or would he not be able since he's from a different world? Would I even be able to live fully in Finchley?" The Hopeful Queen watched as Aslan stood. "You have the decision to make Queen Mila." He bowed his head, "But, whichever one you make will be the right one."

The decision she had to make would definitely impact her life. And she had to make it quickly...

Edited - 20/04/2023