four

The girl at the front desk, Avery, walked me around my floor really quickly. She wasted no time in getting me my assignments for the day. With the stack of papers on my desk, you wouldn't even be able to tell I'm a new employee. Sitting in my small cubicle, I started on the paperwork she gave me, the list of rules next to my computer.

"Hey!" I nearly crapped my jeans. I looked up at the dark haired girl staring down at me from the top of my cubicle.

"Hi." I spoke warily. She snickered.

"Look, I know you're looking at this goddess of beauty, wondering why she is looking at you like a creep. I just wanted to introduce myself to the new girl everyone has been yapping about. Now I see why they're talking. You're cute." She poked my arm and I smiled at the compliment until the entire paragraph sunk in.

They're talking about me?

"Uh, thanks. I'm Tia." I raised my hand up to her. She accepted and shook it wildly.

"Queenie. I was very conveniently named, am I right?" I chuckled and nodded. "How about we go out for break? Starbucks sounds good?"

"Yeah, yeah. Sounds great." She wiggled her eyebrows and disappeared behind the fake wall.

At 12 on the dot, Queenie ended up standing right in front of me, a huge grin on her face.

"Are you ready yet?" I rolled my eyes, logging out of my computer.

"Yes. You're impatient, aren't you?" She rested a hand on her hip.

"Babe, while you get to know me, you'll learn that I am a lot of things." I got out of my rolling chair and took her hand, walking to the elevator. Tapping the down button, I turned to her.

"Do you usually make friends like this?" She walked through the elevator doors ahead of me. She turned to me and shrugged as the doors closed.

"Not really. You're special."

"Special?" A hint of pink flushed her tan cheeks.
"I don't know. You just seemed cool." I smiled and poked her hot cheeks.

"Aw. Look at you getting all flustered." Queenie swatted my hand away. I laughed.

"Stop it, jerk. I'm not flustered. It's just...hot in this elevator, okay." She bumped my hip with hers and we walked out of the doors. She smiled the entire stroll down the few blocks there were between the Starbucks and the building.

From what I can tell, Queenie is outgoing. A people person. Beautiful. Pretty much everything that I'm not. She opened the door for me and the overwhelming coffee smell filled my nose. After we ordered our drinks, her a drink I absolutely cannot pronounce and me a lemonade. We sat at a small booth next to a wall.

"You don't drink coffee?" I shook my head no.

"Never have. Probably never will." I paused. "Shouldn't I be asking some questions?" She bit the  inside of her cheek.

"Probably. Ask away, but you gotta answer the same questions."

"Um, full name?"

"Queenie Marie Solís."

"Tia Selene Riley. So you are Hispanic?" She narrowed her eyes.

"Yeah. You're not?" I shook my head with a small smile on my face.

"I'm black, Queenie. Favorite color?"

"Lavender. I never would've guessed."

"Yellow."

"You got a boyfriend?" I quickly averted my eyes from hers and looked down at my fingers. I wouldn't exactly consider him boyfriend material. But just imagine. I scoffed.