Chapter 2: Bunny Slippers

Grace picked up on the second ring, meaning she was probably waiting for this call.

"How's the city?" She squealed.

"I haven't seen much of it yet," I lowered my voice to a whisper, "I met Melissa Adessi."

"No. Way. What's she like?" Grace asked in a hushed tone.

"She seems full of herself but she asked me to be a model."

"Shut up, she did not! That's so amazing, Charlie! You said yes right? Please tell me you said yes."

"I agreed to go to one modeling training session with her daughter to see how it goes."

Grace started to squeal but quickly stopped. I could almost see the look of realization on her face, this could either be really good or really bad. "Parker is an only child." She said at last.

"Who's Parker?" I asked.

"Parker is Melissa's only child."

"And you're point is?" The second the words left my mouth I wanted to slap myself. Melissa never said her daughter would help me, she said her own child would. And if this Parker person was her only child, this could only mean one thing...

Grace began to speak again, "Parker Adessi is going to teach you how to model."

"Okay this can't be as bad as it sounds. What's Parker like?"

"It's times like this that it becomes extremely necessary to read magazines."

I made a "pfft" sound and replied, "you know I don't read magazines. Stop beating around the bush, what's Parker like?"

"Well he doesn't seem nice. Probably a bit of a player. It's probably not too bad, I mean he's hot."

"That's not reassuring at all, Grace."

"Come on, you're Charlotte Weatherford, you've never let a boy get to you, don't start now."

I rolled my eyes. Realizing she couldn't see me rolling my eyes I instantly felt stupid, "I'm not letting him get to me. I just wish the guy who was teaching me to model was at least friendly."

"I'm not sure if this is helping, but based on what I know about Parker I don't think he's going to show up to your lesson. I don't think he would know how to teach you model if his life depended on it."

"At this rate I don't think I am even going to show up."

"Well that's not the spirit at all. If you don't go I'm not going to be your friend anymore."

"I'm going to call B.S." I snickered.

"Okay yeah, you're right. Please just go."

"Alright I'll go."

Grace squealed over the phone and I heard a knock on the door. It must be my salad.

"Hey Grace, my salad is here I've got to go." I said.

"Salad? Since when do you eat salad? Girl, you're in New York! Go get some pizza!"

I didn't tell her I really wanted to do just that, but only because I knew how much she admired Melissa. I didn't want to ruin her parade by telling her Melissa was a bit of a bitch. Instead I said, "it looked good, I'll get a pizza later. I really need to go, bye!"

She chirped bye back and I hung up the phone. I flung the door open to see what was probably the most gorgeous human being I'd ever seen in my life.

I had to clench my mouth shut to keep it from hitting the floor. Someone should have warned me the salad delivery service in New York looked like he should be either a movie star or a Calvin Klein model.