Chapter Two - Don't Blame Me

Start from the beginning

************

I was a really fucking good long boarder, weaving through the Malibu streets in long leisurely swirls, not waiting for Eli to catch up. I rode down hilled streets and peddled up long drives, getting a good work out in until we stopped for coffee and croissants.

"Oh my god, I forgot how good these are." Eli closed his eyes and licked some honey from his lower lip and I took the opportunity to admire him. He was absolutely stunning. 6'3" with lean muscles, onyx black hair, dimples, and dark blue eyes that popped against his alluring caramel skin. He looked like he had been out in the sun, all year long, vacationing on temptation island. That's what he got for having a Hispanic father and a Brazilian mother. Both with supermodel genetics that they'd passed on to their only spawn.

"You're staring..." Eli's dimples winked wickedly at me and I frowned, feeling the honey dripping from my fingertips.

"Absolutely not." I shoved more of my croissant into my mouth.

"You are...but it's okay, I know I'm gorgeous." He licked more honey off his lower lip and I scowled, biting and chewing my croissant with a newfound violence.

"Which is the entire reason I do not, nor have I ever, found you attractive." I lied.

"Ouch. Careful kid, you're going to bruise my ego."

"God forbid." I took a sip of my mocha. "Wait...what time is it?"

"Ten o'clock." He shrugged. "Why? You have a hot date?" Something passed across his face before I could read it.

"No...I mean kind of..." I shoved some cash onto the table. "I promised some UCLA friends that they could come over and play sand volleyball today..." I pushed my petite black Ray Ban sunglasses over my face as I walked toward the door next to Eli...who was beginning to get noticed. People stared at him and flashed photos of him, and I could tell behind his cocky smirk that he was nervous.

"Hey. Let's get outta here." I squeezed his hand without thinking, and he surprised me when he easily laced his long fingers through mine. My arm positively burned from the contact, but I was sure he couldn't feel it. He never could. Everything he did was so annoyingly platonic. Even something as intimate as holding hands held no value.

As soon as we got outside, I pulled my hand away, reaching out for my long board that was propped against the side of the building. "Wanna come over and get your ass whooped in sand volleyball?" I offered, waiting for him to grab his board as well.

"As much fun as that sounds, I'll have to take a rain check on the ass kicking...I already have something." He looked highly uncomfortable, and I dropped my board down and stepped on it.

"What? You gotta hot date?" I reiterated, and he looked even more uneasy.

"Not really. I mean, kind of. Denise asked if I wanted to catch lunch since I'm in town..."

"Oh." Fuck. Denise Leibovich was practically satan's second coming - behind my sister. All dark hair, and sultry dark eyes, and pouty lips, and fingernails that were red and clawed at the ends. She was Eli's former flame, off and on all through high school. And she hated me for how close we were. No wonder he was so hesitant to tell me.

"That's cool." I lied, pedaling toward a stoplight at the corner.

"It's just lunch, Aves." Eli smiled as he glided alongside of me.

"Yeah, totally." I nodded even though whenever Denise was involved things weren't as simple as they seemed. At least in high school she would treat Eli like crap and then just start crying and win him back when he broke up with her. The entire situation was toxic, and only broken when he left for Canada. Now here we were again, four years later, back in the same spot. Me still in love with him, and Denise still messing with his head.

"What if I come by later tonight and we can do a bonfire like old times?" I smiled, recalling the way we used to lie under the stars and share all of our secrets. All but the one where I was in love with him. The idea seemed thrilling but too intimate.

"I don't know." I admitted.

"Come on, kid. It'll be fun. I'll bring the s'more stuff." My stomach rumbled at the thought of chocolate, despite just finishing two sugary honey croissants. He knew my affinity for sweets and used it against me.

"When you put it like that..." I laughed. "Count me in."

The light turned green, but not before I caught a flash of relief in his eyes. Strange. He was acting so differently. But then again maybe I was too. We weren't the same people we were four years ago, even if he did still make me feel like my dweeby fourteen year old self.

My heart hammered in my chest while I glided down the highest hill in Malibu, the rush not even touching the way Eli's large hand had felt in mine...