Seonghwa- Deception (PT. 2)

Your body was completely petrified; not one muscle in your body was listening to the signals from your brain, telling them to move. Your heart pounded hard against your chest, so much so that it started to hurt you. The adrenaline that came from your body's fight or flight reaction was skyrocketing together with your anxiety. You had to leave. You had no idea what your husband was capable of and hell, you didn't even know who he actually was.

But no matter how hard you tried, you couldn't seem to bring yourself to walk away, you were frozen in place, just as if time had stopped... but truth was, it didn't.

And that became evident when you heard Seonghwa's voice getting closer to the door; you heard him curse and stomp his way to the exit. You knew you had to act fast. Your mind was completely blank but as if it was a survival instinct you found yourself turning around and calling out his name.

"Honey! Honey, are you here?"

You called out as you pretended to search for him; acting oblivious about him being in the storage room.

As soon as he came out of the room and saw you searching for him, he panicked. The last thing he expected was to see you there. His thoughts scattered and he couldn't regain his composure. What if you had seen him? Perhaps, you could have also heard him. You couldn't know, not now. He couldn't get exposed just when he was at the brink of finding the last piece of evidence. He had to put on a facade and stay close to his enemy, and his family, to gather everything he needed to prove the culprit's guilt. He had to endure all of his hatred and agonizing emotions for 5 years. So, no, he couldn't be found out, not yet.

He observed your figure walking around and searching for him. It gave him a sense of reassurance. He quickly closed the door behind him and readjusted his blazer. He jogged towards you and cleared his throat.

"Honey, I'm here!"

His words were cheerful. A very convincing smile spread across his face.

You turned around at his voice and scanned his face. Goosebumps. The effortlessness in his act sent shivers down your spine.

You smiled back at him, trying to mask away your nervousness.

"I searched for you near the bathroom but I couldn't find you."

You explained. You continued to stare into his eyes hoping to see him slip up in some way, only to be disappointed at how much he had perfected his expressions.

"Sorry if I worried you. I think I got lost while trying to find my way out."

His response would have completely deceived you, if you hadn't heard his conversation before. In fact, he had not been to your grandfather's place that much and to be fair, the house did feel like a huge maze. You, who had grown up there, seldom got lost, as well.

You realized how every word and every expression he had, was highly calculated. Your heart broke at the thought that maybe... nothing was ever genuine.

"Why were you searching for me? Did something happen?"

He asked, with a worried expression. Damn, how real it looked.

You didn't know if you wanted to go home at this point. Did you really want to be alone with him? You were scared... maybe staying here with your family was a better option for your safety.

"Honey?"

He asked again, this time his eyebrows furrowing even more, as a sign of concern.

You felt cornered. Even though you were fearful of him now, you didn't believe that Seonghwa was capable of hurting you. You gulped.