Winter Help chapter 7

Mid March

     The air was getting warmer, but there was still a glaze of snow frosting the ground. Janus was a wake more and more, though he was never really not tired. They went through too much coffee with him, which disturbed Logan since it is not good for his snake nor human half, but he did not say anything because it made Janus happy. An addiction that made you happy was still an addiction, but since they where just imaginary, it wouldn't cause too much damage.  

     It was breakfast and Patton was at the stove cooking sausage links on a sizzling pan, Logan was reading at the table with two pieces of toast with Crofters spread across, Virgil was in the common area watching Saturday morning tv, with Roman by his side. Remus was walking down the hall, Janus' left arm linked in his right to help the snake walk better.

     ¨Morning Remus! Morning Jan! I am making omelets and sausage for breakfast.¨ Remus jumped up and down excitedly as Janus shook his head and went to the floor. Logan sprang up, ¨Janus! What's wrong? Are you okay?¨ Janus did not reply, but put his hand into a hole near the floor. He pulled out a rat by its tail and ate it.

     ¨Janus, when did you start taking after me?¨ Remus said flapping his arms with overwhelming excitement. ¨Kiddo, I am making breakfast, you didn't need to kill a live animal.¨ ¨You killed at least 6 baby chicks to make those omelets and a couple of pigs for those sausages, so this rat to hold me off for the day doesn't seem that bad now, does it?¨ Patton wilted back a bit, ¨I guess your right.¨

     ¨Well, I'm full, Imma head to the couch with V and Ro. Peace!¨ Janus walked a second to the couch before tripping on his own foot and falling to the ground. Everyone ran towards him to see if he was hurt or not.

     Roman and Remus helped to turn Janus' body over to see if they can talk to him. He was shaking, he was shaking so bad. His human eye was tearing up and his hands where clenched. The sides know that they where in for a medical trip. Although, when they got a closer look at him, they noticed that he was laughing, shaking and crying that was all contributed to laughing.

     Seeing that Janus was okay, Remus and Roman started laughing at their own stupidity in thinking that he was tremendously hurt. The started a small chuckled that turned into a roaring laughter. Before they knew it, everyone was on the ground, not being able to breath from laughing. All except for Logan who had a small chuckle, but found it nonsensical to laugh that hard.

     ¨Guys, quiet down.¨ Logan said in a loud whisper voice. ¨Janus laughed himself to sleep, we should quiet down so he can rest. This is the most he has been awake in a very long time.¨ Everyone nodded their heads in agreement as Roman and Remus lifted Janus to place him gently on the couch. Janus moved a bit so that he was in between Remus and Virgil who he brought into himself so they where both holding him.

     Remus and Virgil chuckled at how cute and soft Janus was in this tired state. He wasn't has mushy, yet harsh, as he was in the beginning, but he ins't firm like he is in the summer. Janus never was the type to cuddle, he only liked to cuddle when it was a part of someone else's recipe for self care, or they really needed a hug. He never really hugged or cuddled for his own wants or desires. Yet, he has been the most clingy person all winter.

     Everyone grew closer this winter, everyone felt a special bond between each other, it was so nice not to fight all the time. Patton broke the silence as he jumped up and screamed, waking up Janus. ¨So sorry kiddos, I forgot about the breakfast I was making!¨ Patton ran towards the kitchen where a small smoke cloud had started to form. 

     ¨I am going to head to my room.¨ Everyone looked up in concern at Janus who was standing up to leave. ¨Janus, you can stay out here and watch a movie with us?¨ Roman asked, everyone surprised he had been silent for most of the day.  ¨I wouldn't want to be more of a burden on you guys, it has now come to my full comprehension that you had been taking care of me all winter when you didn't have to. I don't want you guys to keep watching me.¨

     ¨Janus, it is not like that at all.¨ Patton replied. ¨One thing you said is that we took care of you, but we didn't have to. You're right, we didn't have to, but we chose to because we love you and you are one of my best friends.¨ Janus looked confused, ¨Really?¨ Patton jumped up to stand by him, ¨Really!¨ Logan came up behind Patton and held his shoulder, ¨In fact, we had to hold Patton back from taking care for you too much.¨

     Everyone chuckled at that, except for Patton who went a bit red. Roman followed standing next to Janus and Logan. ¨And you drive into our skulls how important self care is, but sometimes it helps if self care isn't just by ourselves.¨ Virgil joined them, ¨Sometimes it is better if you can take care of yourself with the comfort of loved ones.¨

    Remus stood up and whined getting everyone's attention. ¨Come OOON! I am not made for this. You guys had to take turns saying things that where heartfelt and smartness? I want to contribute too you know.¨ Logan shook his head, ¨The word ¨smartness¨ does not fit into the context of the sentence, Remus.¨ ¨See! You just proved my point.¨

     Janus giggled and opened up his arms, ¨Remus, come here.¨ Remus then lightened up and came running towards Janus. The others tried to stop Remus from ramming into him, but nothing could stop the trash rat. Both Janus and Remus where on the ground, both laughing at each other for the others to join in.

1046 words

Thank you all so much for reading. There will be one more chapter to this story and then it will be ending! I would like to thank you for making it this far into the fic, I really do appreciate it. Sorry for missing my update day Sunday, I was pretty stressed XD. Love you all, self care, stay hydrated.