Two Stowaways and A Secret

Depuis le début

"Cross my heart!"

"We don't have hearts," she muttered before sighing. "Fine! But just one!"

"A present for me? You didn't need to get me anything."

"This is so great," Tikki squealed. Plagg rolled his eyes as he chomped on a pastry.

"They... they're earrings."

Tikki gasped. "No no no, this can't be. Plagg, did you hear that?" she asked, turning to him. "Adrien's father got Marinette a set of earrings!"

"Yeah, so?" he replied, taking his last bite.

"Are you serious?" Tikki demanded. "She can't take her earrings off in front of everyone!"

"What's the big deal? They'll still be in their hidden form unless she renounces you. Which I'm pretty sure she won't do."

"Now go ahead, try them on. Let's see how they look on you."

"It doesn't matter! She can't risk losing them," Tikki said.

"Alright, alright," Plagg finally groaned. "But what are we supposed to do about it anyway?"

"We'll need to create a diversion," she replied. "And fast."

************************************

Marinette reluctantly placed the jewelry box on the coffee table in front of her. Then she removed one piece and slowly reached up to her ear.

Suddenly there was a whirring noise as all the lights went off.

The four of them blinked at each other for a moment.

"What just happened?" Gabriel bellowed, turning towards Nathalie.

She quickly turned on her tablet and pressed a few buttons. "The system is down. We have a complete electrical failure."

"What about the back-up generator?" he asked.

"It hasn't turned on yet."

Adrien checked his phone. "And there's no reception. The whole grid must be affected. It has to be another akuma attack."

"No," Gabriel, Nathalie and Marinette all said at the same time.

"I mean..." Marinette continued. "It's probably just a regular power outage. These things happen all the time. I'm sure it's nothing." She had a feeling that something else was going on. The timing was a little too perfect. "And it's still light outside so we can still see without power."

"Miss Dupain-Cheng is right, I'm sure everything is fine. I just have to go check on something. I'll be back shortly," Gabriel said, walking towards the door. Once he reached it he turned back around. "You two stay here!" he barked before leaving. Nathalie followed him out the door.

Marinette looked at Adrien. "Is your father okay?"

"He's fine. He just always freaks out when we lose power. But come on, we need to get out of here." He grabbed her hand and pulled her up.

"But your father said that we should wait here," she said as he guided her out of the dining room.

"I know, but we need to get to my room. We'll be safer there."

"What are you talking about? It's only a power outage."

He pulled her up the stairs. "I'm not so sure about that." Once inside the room he closed the door behind them.

"Adrien, what's going on?" Marinette asked.

"I need to keep you safe," he said, putting his hands up to her face.