Chapter 16

"I can't be with you, Alex. Not when you're still running a gang," Emilia explained.

Alex rubbed his hand through his hair. "Emilia. I'm not running a gang anymore. I told you. I never wanted that life. I'm retired from that life."

Emilia stopped pacing to face Alex. "But the gang is still running. People are still getting hurt because of it. I can't be a part of it."

Alex stood up from behind his desk, to stand in front of Emilia.

"It's not that simple," he explained, grabbing her hands. "My father wasn't the best man, I'll admit. But a lot has changed. Since Marlano betrayed our family, and forced me to take over from my father's death, I've made some improvements."

Emilia let Alex hold her hands, but didn't say anything.

"I know what Marlano did. How he hurt your family. But that doesn't mean you're doing the right thing."

Alex let out a sigh. "Yes. Marlano betrayed my father and they split up. Then he killed him. But that's not why the gang must remain."

"Why Alex?"

"If we disappeared, Marlano would take over this city. He has police and politicians in his pocket. We're just doing what we can to keep the peace."

Emilia gazed up into his eyes. "Really? So you don't deal in stolen goods or kill people?"

Alex laughed at that accusation. "I've never killed another person. Promise. And we only import. Never steal. While we might not have paid the correct import taxes, we're not that bad."

Emilia smiled.

"So," Alex promoted. "Will you give me a chance?"

Alex gave his best puppy dog eyes, making Emilia giggle. He caressed her cheek, careful to avoid the bruises and split skin.

Emilia shrugged. "Hmm. I guess. Like you're sort of good looking," she teased, "and you did save my life. I guess I could give you a chance."

Alex wrapped his hands around her waist and swung her in the air.

"What's going on daddy?" A little voice sqeaked from the door.

"Come in James," Alex beckoned, as James ran in and hugged them both. "What have I told you about eavesdropping?"

"Don't get caught?" James shrugged.

Emilia laughed. "Well he isn't wrong!"

"Are you feeling better, Emmie?" James asked, gently touching the healing bruise on her face.

"Yes. Much better. Your dad has been looking after me."

"And are you going to stay here longer?" James continued.

Emilia shook her head, as Alex looked at her pleadingly.

"You're always welcome," Alex confirmed.

"I appreciate that. But I do have my own place. And my bestie is going to be so worried!" Emilia explained.

Alex grabbed her hand, before pressing a kiss to it.

"Emilia. Please say you're mine." Alex begged.

James hugged her tight.

Emilia had gotten to known them much better this last week, as she'd be stuck in bed healing. She was still shaken and nervous from her ordeal, but Alex made her feel both safe and tingles down to her toes.

"I'm yours," Emilia responded, as Alex pulled her in tight.

Emilia was finally in the right place.

---