Chapter 38: Peeta

I wake up after a long nights rest.  I sit up in my bed and notice from the green light on my door that means it's unlocked and I can leave whenever. I get up and strip my shirt and shorts off to wash up. I slip on my clothes for the day. I sneak around the corner and make sure I saw the light right, yes green. I smile and step out of my room.

What to do, what to do? I look around carefully and not many people are around, luckily. I walk around casually with absolutely no idea  what to do with this new freedom.

I could go eat breakfast with the normal people. I smile at myself and go along with my own plan. I walk to the food-room, as I like to call it and sit plainly next to some very surprised people. I smile to the server and she gives me some oats and milk. I eat quickly and hurry back knowing I've been gone a while. I walk casually, but still kind of rushed back to my room and sit casually on my bed. Someone walks out of my bathroom and it's Katniss. I look at her confused and slightly angered and she runs to hug me. She holds me in a tight embrace and I just stand there awkwardly.

"They told me you weren't in you room this morning so I came to look for you" she says happily. I smile at her and she hugs me again. I miss her smile and her piercing gray eyes. I look into her eyes and feel the awkwardness fade, for me at least but she seems very uncomfortable. She looks down, breaking my stare and I laugh lightly.

"Was that weird?" I ask causing her to blush the slightest tinge of red. She waves good bye and leaves slowly. I sigh missing her already but also mad she came in. I don't know what to think of her anymore. I apparently used to love her but now I feel more pity for her than anything. She's been through a lot, a different kind of stuff than me and the others that were captured by the Capitol. I sit on my bed playing with my hands and feel the boredom growing quickly.

"Peeta we need you to come with us to meet with Coin" Boggs says through the door. I get up and open it to him tapping his foot repeatedly "That was fast" he says surprised.

"I've been awake a while" I say plainly, leaving out the whole "escaping" for breakfast. He nods and walks me down some dark corridors and into a steel door. I see Coin, president of 13 sitting casually at a meeting room type of table with a folder in her hands. She gestures for me to sit and I comply easily.

"Peeta we have a very important question for you" she starts "We want you to join Katniss' squad. Would you be willing?" she asks cautiously. I nod half excited and half nervous. I want to see Katniss more but I'm slightly afraid she will be exactly how the Capitol convinced me. She smiles proudly and I'm guessing that was it because Boggs gestures for me to leave. I follow Boggs as he leads me back to my room. Boring, I look around plainly and he smiles.

"Do you want some breakfast?" he asks, noticing my boredom. I shake my head a little too quickly and he smiles "I know it's not the best food" he says jokingly. I smile and he walks out while I sit on my bed.

"Boggs" I say before he leaves out of earshot, he comes back curiously "Can I go to the training place?" I ask and he nods, almost unsure of himself. I smile and go to the bathroom quickly. I wash my hands and walk quickly to training. I see that a whole class has gathered in the Training Room and I go to the corner with the weights. I smirk and start to lift for a while. I see some people gathering by a large steel door and they slowly trickle in and out. I walk over curiously and see Cato and Clove near the beginning of the "line", well herd of people. 

Clove smiles at me and Cato just glares. I'm happy to know some things never change. I hug Clove quickly just to make Cato mad and smile at him innocently.

"You do realize she's not my type right?" I ask jokingly. He rolls his eyes "You guys are engaged and I'm married. I would never ruin either of our relationships" Clove looks at Cato and leans into him lovingly. I smile at them and leave them to do whatever the group is doing. I go back and try to throw knives, which I fail miserably at.

I look at the time what feels like only hours later but it's almost 7 at night and I walk back to my room for sleep. I strip out of my clothes and change into a simple pair of shorts and no shirt. It feels nice but also very weird to no have a shirt on. I hop into be and fall asleep almost instantly.