Chapter 9: Marquessate of Midford

Start from the beginning

“My goodness, I couldn't imagine putting one on myself! It was a pain just trying to get it off! I probably spent 2 hours alone just untying it!” We both laugh. “I tell you, I thought I was going to break my arms getting the upper strings untied! I don't know how you do it all by yourself!”

“It's not easy, that's for sure! So how long are you staying for, my lady?” She questions. “I only planned to stay for one night, I don't know. Ciel has asked me to move back here again, but I really don't know. I mean, both our parents are gone, so it's just him here. He is now the head of the household, so I feel it's almost unnecessary for me to be here. I told him I'm perfectly fine living where I am now, that I have a job I have to go to each morning. I just feel like I'd be in the way if I moved back.” Before I could say anything else, Ciel had knocked on my door before slightly opening it up.

“Are you almost ready, (Y/N)? We need to get going. I still need to visit with Undertaker afterwards.” I walk over to the door and open it up completely. “Yes, I am ready now, sorry.” I then turn back around to Mey-Rin. “Thanks again, Mey-Rin! I'll see you later!”

“Absolutely, my lady! Have a good day now!” With that I leave the manor with Ciel, and Sebastian helps us into the carriage where he was waiting, and we make our way out.

“So where is it that you work?” Ciel asks after a while of silence. “I work at London's Cake Shop on Queensbridge Rd. (Just go with it 😆) I've been working there for 2 years now.” I answered as I continued to look out the window. “Do you make the cakes there?”

“Mostly, yes. I make the cakes, cupcakes, cookies and scones. The owners will make the breads, pies and croissants. Occasionally I'll make some pies and other pastries as well. It definitely keeps me busy!” I explain. “So you were the one that made the Gateau Chocolat cake?”

“Yes! Did you eat it then? What did you think of it?” I questioned excitedly, yet nervously. “Yes, I actually ate it soon after you gave it to me, while you were explaining everything you had gone through. It was exactly how I had remembered it! I'll have Sebastian make it for me once in a while, but it just isn't the same when it isn't yours.”

“Thank you, Ciel! That means a lot.” After that we were both quiet for the remainder of the ride to the Midford house.

Just as we arrived to the Marquessate of Midford, a thought had popped in my head. “Hey, Ciel? I remember you saying Elizabeth would be happy to see me again, but you never said anything about Edward. Is he still here?” I ask nervously. Just because I never loved him as my fiancé, I still loved him as family. I just never liked the idea of marrying other family members.

“Y-yes, he is still here. I'm sure he will be happy to see you as well!” His face began to blush as he said that. I could tell he was hiding something from me, but I guess I'll have to wait and figure it out on my own.

Sebastian opens the door for Ciel and I as he helps us out, with Ciel going first. Once we made it up to the door, Sebastian gives it a knock before someone opens it up a few seconds later. “Oh hello, Sebastian, Earl Phantomhive! What brings you here?” A young lady asks. She appears to be just a couple of years older than me, and she has long, straight light brown hair with dark brown eyes. She is also wearing a plain red dress with a white apron tied around her waist, she was definitely the maid.

“Good afternoon, Paula. We came here to visit Lord and Lady Scotney. We have a special visitor who would love to meet with them.” Explains Ciel. “Right, of course! Come right in.” We enter the manor, and she leads the way over to them. Once I recognized we were heading towards the living room, I quickly hide behind the wall before they could see me.

“Marquess, Marchioness, you have some visitors who came here to see you!” Says Paula. “Good afternoon, Marchioness of Midford, Marquess of Midford. It has been awhile since I saw you last.” Ciel greets. “Spare me the formalities. Furthermore, you come to our house with such disheveled hair!?” I hear Aunt Francis yell. After a few more moments I hear Ciel speak. “I apologize for troubling you, Aunt Francis.”

“Indeed.” Before she could say anything else I heard our uncle speak up. “I'm so glad to see you, I missed my future son-in-law!”

“Alexis!!” Aunt Francis yells. I really had to stifle my laughter to keep from being heard. “So what bring you all this way to see us?” Aunt Francis asks once everything settled down. “Well, Aunt Francis, Uncle Alexis, we have a special visitor who I know you would rather enjoy seeing...”

“Well, who is it?” I take that as my queue to reveal myself to them. I take in a deep breath, and I step around the corner to see them. As soon as they see me, their eyes widen as they gasp. “L-Lady (Y/N)!? You're alive after all! You came back!” I soon felt myself being wrapped in a tight bear hug. “I'm so happy to see you again! We missed you terribly!” Uncle Alexis exclaims. I wrap my arms around him to hug him back. “I've missed you guys as well! I'm happy to be here.”

Once he lets go, I look over to my aunt. I could tell she was holding back tears, and so was I. Then, she did something I never would have expected. She walked over to me and gave me a hug. “It's so good to see you again, my dear!” I wrap my arms around her to give her a hug as well. “You as well, Aunt Francis!”

“Cieeeel!!!” We all heard Elizabeth shout as she came running into the room. She immediately spots him and almost knocks him over as she gives him a tight hug. “Elizabeth!! Do not behave so rudely before you've even greeted him! I have always told you that a lady must observe her proprieties!”

“I'm sorry, mother!” I couldn't help but laugh, causing Elizabeth to look over at me. Her eyes widen immediately. “(Y/N), is that really you?!”

“Yes, Elizabeth. It's really me!” Her eyes begin to water as she runs over to me and hugs me. Of course, I hug her back. “I've missed you so much!!” She says as she begins crying. “I've missed you as well, Lizzy!”

“Right. So are you guys hungry? You've had quite a long ride over here.” Uncle Alexis asks. “Yes, we haven't had lunch yet as we had left the house shortly after 10.” Answers Ciel. “Alright, let's head into the dining room then. Paula can prepare some lunch for you.” We all exit the room as I follow behind everyone else, and we all make our way over to the dining room.

Just before I approached the room, I look over and seen Edward walking towards me. He stops in his tracks once he had recognized me. “(Y/N)...”

“It's good to see you again, Edward.” I say quietly. He stands there for another moment before pulling me in a tight hug. “I thought I'd never see you again!” He then lets go as he takes a closer look at me.

“What happened to you, where have you been?!” He asks. “It's a long story, I can explain later. We were just heading into the dining room for lunch.” I explain. “Did you just get here?”

“Yes, about 10 minutes ago. So you're just in time for my explaining.” He gives me a small smile. “Then lets not keep them waiting.”