sixteen || clawing at the walls

Comenzar desde el principio

   He looked at me with amusement in his eyes. "I guess Reggie was right about you, you really are one of the most interesting people in the world," he laughed, shaking his head at me. 

I wished so badly that he would step away from me. I hated being this close to him. I wished Abel was here so that I felt somewhat safe. 

I don't know what possessed me to say what I said next, but before I knew it, the words were spilling out, and I couldn't stop them.

"You're going to kill me eventually, aren't you?" 

Harry looked stunned as the words came out of my mouth. 

He didn't reply, and so my word vomit kept falling off my lips. 

"Once you get all of the answers you need, you, or someone you work with, they're going to kill me, right? I've seen enough movies to know that guys like you don't like to leave any witnesses or loose ends."

  "Don't worry about that right now Tate, seriously," he sighed, wanting to avoid the subject which I found odd, as his repeatedly expressed disdain for me had lead me to believe he'd be excited to get rid of me.

Another thought popped into my brain, one that made my previous one seem small and insignificant.

"What about my mother?" I asked softly.

He furrowed his brows at me. "What about your mother?"

"Are you going to hurt her too?" I asked, the lump in my throat getting harder to hold back.

I glanced up from the spot on the floor I had been focusing on, and peered up to meet Harry's gaze.

   And although he had looked at me many times before, for some reason, at this moment, it was the first time that I felt seen by him.

He had the most serious look in his eyes, and he wouldn't tear them away from my own as he opened his mouth to speak.

"Tate listen to me, I am not going to hurt your mother. I would never hurt your mother, and despite what you might think, I really don't want to hurt you."

 I stared at him quizically as he continued.

"Trust me, I would much rather be putting bullets through some real asshole's skull than babysitting you. This is just another assignment for me, but it's a really important one. At first, I thought you were in on it somehow, but now, I see that you're completely clueless, but sadly, we still need you." 

"Why though, why can't you guys just figure out the riddles on your own and let me go back to my life?" I cried in desperation, feeling the tears brimming in my eyes.

"Because it's your dad Tate, you'll be able to tell us things about him that we couldn't figure out otherwise."

"Harry my dad died when I was a baby, I hardly remember anything about him!"

"Tate, you were able to figure out the first answer today, you may not remember him, but he is a part of you. You'll be able to figure it out, just like you were able to figure out the first one," he tells me, but it seems like he's trying to reassure himself more than me.