"How did you explain it to your dad?" Curtis asked.

His lips curled in a grin. "I told him I faked my own death as part of an elaborate life insurance scam. He was not a happy man."

"Like you'd be smart enough for a scam." Jade scoffed with a lopsided grin.

"Don't bully someone that just came back to life." He glared at her, and she stuck her tongue at him in amusement.

"What about you?" Kelly asked Jade. "How did it go?"

"She punched me in the face." He grumbled, and Curtis snorted.

"Good job, Jade." He grinned.

"Who are you?"

Nathan's green eyes snapped towards a man that stepped in with a bored look. He looked barely put together with his hands buried in his pockets.

He snorted as he gave the man a once over. "I could ask you the same thing."

"I'm the probation worker." He said in a bored tone.

"Oh." He said in realisation. "Nathan. Nathan Young."

He furrowed his brows. "They told me you were dead."

"Really?"

"Apparently not. Well, I'll put you back in the system."

"Hold on." His eyes widened. "What?"

"Are you saying I was out of the system? I was a free man? If I didn't show up here, no one would've come looking for me?"

The probation worker shrugged. "We thought you were dead."

Nathan turned to Jade with a suspicious look. "Did you know that?"

Jade grinned, and he narrowed his eyes at her. "Traitor."

"What?" She scoffed with a smirk. "No way in hell I'll be stuck here without you."

"You little shit." He chuckled. "You're lucky you're cute."

.
.
.

"Why the hell are we babysitting a bunch of lunatics?" Nathan asked with raised eyebrows when he saw a group of people painting on various canvas.

"Hey, they could hear you." Jade pursed
her lips.

"Who is she?" Alisha asked as she pointed at a small, dark haired girl talking with Simon.

Jade tilted her head. "Ah, her. I've seen her yesterday having a chat with Simon. I've got no idea who she is."

"Well, let's find out then." Nathan said with a smirk as he strolled towards Simon and the mysterious girl.

"Nathan, no." Jade called after him, but he ignored her as he went to stand beside the two.

"Do you know her or something?" Nathan blurted, interrupting the conversation between them.

The girl threw him an exasperated look while Simon seemed oddly relieved about Nathan chiming in.

"No." He said in a cold tone, and hurt washed over her face.

"Are you trying to shag her?" He asked. "She's not that mentally ill."

His lips stretched in a sneer. "Or maybe she is."

Jade looked at him with her mouth open in shock at his mean words.

"Shut up." Simon hissed. "She heard that."

He shrugged. "Hey, no offence. A lot of people say I'm mentally ill."

He snickered as he gestured at the group of people from the mental hospital. "Obviously, I'm not. 'Cause I'm over here and you're over there with the other crazies."