- 6 -

"This is it." A tall, dark skinned man built like a bull said. "This is your chance to do something positive."

Jade barely listened to the probation officer as she looked at the small group of young people that she was going to spend the next months with. There was a shy looking guy with his orange jumpsuit buttoned up to his neck, a young woman with curly hair chewing on gum with an uninterested look on her face, a guy with a cap on, a short, curvy girl with dark brown hair slicked back in a tight ponytail, a tall, athletic looking guy with a serious look and Nathan, who was standing next to her for emotional support.

He noticed how rough everything had been for her, so he made sure she knew he was there and she could lean on him.

"You can help people, you can really make a difference to people's lives."

She sighed as she looked down and glared at the dirty, second hand jumpsuit she was obligated to wear. The color was loud and unflattering and it made her stand out even more. It was like having 'This bitch's fucked up' painted on her back.

An elbow gently jabbed her side and she raised her head with a grumpy look. Nathan winked at her, his green eyes gentle as he smirked.

She smiled back and stuck her tongue out at him, and he showed her his middle finger while still smiling.

"There are people out there who think you're scum..." He kept speaking but she tuned out his voice, instead she pictured the fake mom in his place to comfort herself.

Mom smiled at her, exuding motherly love and acceptance. With time, she has persuaded her own mind to think that, no matter what happened, mom would still love her and be there for her.

"But what if they're right?"

Nathan's voice snapped her out of her thoughts, and she looked at him in surprise.

He shrugged nonchalantly. "No offence, but I'm thinking some people are just born criminals." His gaze then shifted to the guy with a cap on and he gave him a pointed look.

The guy glared at him. "You're looking to get stabbed?"

Jade grabbed his arm, afraid for his safety.

"You see my point here?" Nathan said.

A phone rang and the curly haired girl answered while loudly smacking her gum.

"Hey." The officer said with an annoyed look, but she ignored him and kept speaking to her phone.

"Excuse me."

Jade stood on her toes and whispered into Nathan's ear. "You shouldn't provoke people here. They've actually been condemned, they could really hurt you."

She felt him shiver, and the hairs at the back of his neck stood up.

He pretended to be unaffected."I don't have to worry." He smirked. "You'll punch them for me. I won't even have to do the dirty work."

"You're a walking noodle, you'll just get beaten up and left to die." Jade grumbled. "And I won't lift a finger to help you."

He leaned forward to whisper in her ear. "Now, you love to hurt my feelings, you mean girl."

She figured out why he was shivering. His hot breath tickled her skin and his voice took a husky tone as he whispered, his lips were so close to the sensitive spot on her neck and she had to force herself not to stick out her neck for him and beg him to kiss it.

She noticed the way his lips stretched in a victorious grin, he was playing with her.

Liking this little flirting game, she decided to push it further. She pushed on her feet to get her face closer to his, she gazed into his eyes and smiled, her lips hovering over his.