CHAPTER SIXTEEN

Severus Snape sat quietly at the Hogs Head Inn. It was a place he usually enjoyed a late evening firewhiskey after he returned from the Malfoy Manor; the burning feeling as it trickled down his throat was something he was rather fond of, at least it meant he was feeling something.

Every evening at the Hogs Head was the same, he drank his firewhiskey in an empty pub, thanked the barman then made his way back to the Malfoy Manor. As soon as Snape witnessed a peculiar looking woman enter the pub, he knew it would not be a usual day, nobody but him was ever in the Hogs Head. The woman introduced herself as Sybill Trelawney to the barman and made her way up the creaky stairs into one of the rooms, within a few seconds of her entering the room, a man Snape recognised all too well as Albus Dumbledore followed her inside.

Severus was already aware that anyone entering the Hogs Head was suspicious, but two individuals, one of which famously defeated Gellert Grindlewald, well that was certainly not a coincidence. Although unable to make out what was being said upstairs, he could hear their voices chattering away rather politely.

As Severus took the last swig of his firewhiskey he glanced around the room, the barman had gone. Identifying that this would be the perfect opportunity to head upstairs and assess the situation, he crept as silently as possible up the stairs and stationed himself outside the door. Putting his ear up to the door, he could hear everything.

"But could you not predict something for me?" He heard the deeper voice belonging to Albus Dumbledore ask.

"That is not how The Sight presents itself," Sybil spoke hurriedly, her words all mumbling together.

"Well, then I am afraid you will have no position teaching at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Do not worry, the visit was not entirely useless as I have now discovered I am rather partial to a glass of Knotgrass Mead."

Severus heard the chairs scraping against the, signalling to him that the conversation had been terminated and immediately jumped, making his way down the staircase with fear, he did not wish to be caught. He waited halfway down the stairs for a sign of movement from upstairs but it did not come, had they been aware he was eavesdropping and attempted to trick him?

"You fool." He muttered under his breath to himself as he made his way back up the staircase.

Before he was even all the way up, he heard her. A voice that seemed almost artificial spoke in the clearest possible way, "The one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord approaches... Born to those who have thrice defied him, born as the seventh month dies...." But that was all he heard before he felt a firm hand on his shoulder, tugging him back down the stairs.

"Get out of my pub!" He roared angrily at Severus, increasing the tightness of his grip. "You should do well not to return here, we don't want your lot." Spitting down on the floor, he released his grip on Severus, pushing him to the floor and slamming the door on him.

But Severus had heard all he needed. Sybill Trelawney possessed The Sight, whatever she had prophesied was almost certain to come true and he knew his Master would be more than grateful for his work.

Severus span in his spot, envisioning the Malfoy Manor and within a split second, he was there. "My Lord," he called out through the hallways. "I have but the most urgent news."

Lord Voldemort quickly apparated before him, "yes Severus?"

Severus looked around him at the lingering Death Eaters, "I believe you would rather hear this news without eavesdroppers."

"Well, you would be correct." He glanced quickly at the Death Eater lingering in the corner, "Avada Kedavra." He didn't even pause for a moment to recognise the seriousness of his actions. Instead, he spoke again, "Severus, what is it you have to tell me?"

"There is a prophecy, of a boy with the power to defeat you."

"A boy could never defeat me." But Severus could tell he wasn't so sure. "Who made such a prophecy?"

"Sybill Trelawney," Severus responded.

"And what exactly did this Sybill say? Recite it for me."

Severus was glad in that moment to be blessed with immaculate memory. "The one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord approaches... Born to those who have thrice defied him, born as the seventh month dies...."

"Well, the fate of this boy has been sealed by this Sybill. It will be a shame he never got to thank her." Voldemort lifted his sleeve and pressed his bony finger onto the dark mark embossed on his skin. "It seems I have a job for you all," Voldemort began as his followers began to appear before him.

"Severus has just informed me of some rather important news about a prophecy." He glanced towards Severus who stood blankly glancing around the room. "It speaks of a boy, a boy who threatens me, who holds the power to vanquish me."

"Impossible!" Bellatrix Lestrange cried out, jumping forwards with passion.

Voldemort simply sighed, "Crucio." He pointed his wand at her, watching her convulse on the floor. "Do not speak out of turn Bellatrix."

He stepped over her body and addressed his remaining supporters. "I require you to find a child. He shall be born at the end of July. Find out who he is, find his parents and report directly back to me. Fail and you will die." Voldemort nodded at Severus before disappearing into thin air.

"You heard him," Severus began monotonously, "I expect you all to find this boy, find his mother, find his father, find his house. Offer whatever rewards these vermin might seek for their information. The boy shall not live."