Chapter 15: Grifball

Start from the beginning

After School, Carter PoV

"It's quite rare for a person outside school staff to try and start an extracurricular." Ozpin said. "And I've never heard of this... Grifball." 

"I think a demonstration would really help. If we could set up a makeshift place in the courtyard, I think we-" I'm cut off.

"That won't be needed. I think you've done enough for this school for me to approve the construction of an arena on school grounds." 

"Really? Thanks, me and Noble team can set up the bare bones in an hour." I walk off as he begins the paperwork to get this new arena set up. I call Noble team, who are all on stand by for the construction. 

Noble 6 PoV

"This is Carter, set up the goals." He said over coms. 

"I though I was supposed to do the set up with Oz." 

"We got impatient." Cat said. I laugh to myself and walk outside, and all the Spartans are creating the goals. An announcement comes on. 

"All students, report to be courtyard for a demonstration of the latest extracurricular activity in one hour. Thank you." Port's voice said. Nice. We hurry and get the goals set up, and I pick up the lighter than usual ball. 

"I had to make it light for the students. And not explosive." Jorge said. 

"And we should just let everyone use their own weapons." I said. 

"Right." 

An Hour Later, Ruby Rose PoV

"This is stupid." Weiss said, sighing. 

"And a waste of time." Blake added on. 

"Guys! It'll be a fun break!" I say. 

"So, what is this?" Yang said, and I looked at the set up that Noble team had set up. We were the last ones there. 

"Ladies and gentleman!" 6 starts. "This... is... GRIFBALL!" Cool! What's that? "The rules are simple, you grab that ball in the center and run it over to your opponents goal. That's the only rule." So it seems simple enough. "Now, we'll be playing a point for you guys to see. Now, as you see, it's me, Carter, and Emile as one team, Cat, Jun, and Jorge as the other. This would normally be played with six, but were shortening the regulation to four. And three for this demonstration. Now, get in position!" The two teams line up by their goals, and the scoreboard buzzes. They all charge forward, and this isn't what any of us expected. Jun grabs the ball, but Emile shoulder checks him so hard he's sent into the air. Emile grabs the ball, but Jorge punches him across the face, pushing him back a little and Jorge grabs the ball. 6 comes in and jumps onto Jorges back, throwing the stolen ball to Carter, that is right before 6 is thrown like a rock to his own side again. 

"This is barbaric!" Weiss shouts as Emile comes up and tackles Cat before she can reach Carter. Carter makes it to the goal, placing the ball on the small disk on the ground. 

"This looks like fun!" Yang shouts. 

"I worry for my health..." Blake said, which was kinda ironic considering her clear lack of sleep. 

"And that is Grifball! A Spartan's best way to pass time!" 6 said, getting up from the ground. What did I just watch? "Any volunteers for a game?" 

"Yah!" Yang shouts, running to the field. Oh no... 

"Count me in!" Nora ran over now. 

"CRDL, come on." Cardin said, bringing his whole team onto the field. 

"Ah, screw it." I walk onto the field. 

"Ruby! No!" Weiss reaches for me. I ignore her. 

"I'll join!" Pyrrha runs down. It's me, Yang, Nora, and Pyrrha against CRDL, and 6 sighs. 

"Where in the world are your weapons?" 

"Um... what?" I ask.

"As long as your weapons are melee, they can and sure will be used." We all pull out our weapons, and 6 starts the game. 

Noble 6 PoV

With mighty shouts, both sides charge for the ball. Ruby pedal bursts over, but is quickly thrown aside by Cardin. Pyrrha shield bashes Cardin, taking the ball back. The rest goes except, Pyrrha solos CRDL again and puts the ball in the goal. Unfortunate. 

"Alright, if you guys want to play more, you all sign up for Grifball! Now, we have some other things to do!" They all leave, all of them with very mixed feelings. Ozpin walks up to us. 

"I wasn't excepting something so... violent." 

"Eh, this is toned down." This confused Ozpin. "The ball used to be a bomb." 

"That's... interesting." 

"So is Grifball."