Chapter 30

A/N - Was thinking of writing a Sebastian Smythe fanfic after the end of this story (this is the penultimate chapter!) what are your guys's thoughts? :)

Enjoy this chapter, and... goodluck...

______________________

You ran a hand restlessly through your hair, clasping a fistful of it within your hand and taking deep, nervous breaths.

Fear entangled within your insides as you glanced at the date, just to try and make yourself believe that it actually was the day of the operation. You fumbled your fingers together, trying to keep your head up and thinking positive thoughts.

So many questions strangled your blank mind, your mouth was parched and you nibbled aimlessly on your bottom lip as you approached the hospital.

"It's going to be okay" Sophie reassured you, taking your hand and squeezing it tenderly as you returned the gesture with a grateful nod.

"I just can't believe it's today..." You turned to her, voice barely audible. "I can't even imagine how Grant must be feeling..." Sophie pulled you into a side hug as you entered the doors which felt more like home than your own.

You made your way upstairs to Grants room, trying not to engross yourself with all the crying and depressed people that seemed to be constantly surrounding you, mentally if not physical.

After laying a soft knock on the door, you walked in slowly seeing that Grant was asleep, noticing that he was now attached to a heart rate machine. Sighing in relief from his relaxed state, you took a seat by him and gestured for Sophie to sit by you.

At least he's okay... At least he's relaxed and getting some escape by sleeping...

"Grant" you whispered, tears already clouding your eyes "Baby, I need you to do one thing for me" You slipped his hand from underneath his sheets and let your fingers dance with his gently "I need you to make it through this operation, can you do that? Please?" It was thankfully extremely rare for the removal of a prostrate gland to kill, but that fact didn't seem to offer you any comfort at this point in time. "In fact, we're going to make it through this together gorgeous" you squeezed his hand and his head rolled over on its side, facing you directly.

His eyes wandered open and a small smile played at the corners of his mouth at the sight of you. You automatically returned the flicker, as he sighed and turned his gaze to the foot of his bed.

"It's today isn't it" he murmured, so quietly you didn't know whether you were meant to hear.

"Yeah" you confirmed, letting Sophie who was sat slightly behind you take your hand and hold it loosely. It was a simple action, but it meant more than you could describe. "You can go back to sleep, i don't mind" you whispered, fingers playing with his hair slightly.

"I don't have the energy to sleep'

He answered back dully, he looked as nervous as you felt, and further fear twisted its way within you, tangling you up so you felt unable to breath properly.

"How long have we got?" He asked, you bit back the screams to the meaning within that question.

"Until the operation? About an hour" you answer, voice breaking ever so slightly.

"Stay with me" he whispered.

It broke you. Seeing him so desperate, pleading just for your presence, "Always" you choked back.

Silence settled comfortably within the room, you shuffled next to Grant on his bed, wrapping his head gently within your arms and pressing light kisses on his temple. Every so often you and Sophie would share small sad smiles, you wanted to say something but there were no appropriate words.