Chapter 10: Secrets and Fears

"Stay with me, baby stay with me. Tonight don't leave me alone..."

-Kiss Me Slowly, Parachute

***

I had learned a very important lesson the night I kissed Hunter; and that was to never underestimate my special ability to make stupid decisions.

I didn't know what bad spirit possessed me to do that R-18 scene and I suspected it had something to do with the paracetamol Hunter gave me. It might had messed with my brain and made me think about things I shouldn't have.

Or maybe it had something to do with Hunter himself. As much as I hated to admit it, I couldn't deny that he was one hell of a gorgeous male specimen. According to scientific studies, it was just natural for us to feel attracted to the opposite sex especially if they were fit as the devil himself; I guessed it had something to do with the survival of genes.

It meant that what I was feeling right now was just purely scientific.

I took a deep breath.

Right. These feeling were completely normal. I wasn't falling in love with Hunter. It was just the damned pheromones clouding my sane thinking.

I decided to forget that blasted kiss and just pretend that nothing happened. I swore to myself that I would keep that secret to my grave.

My resolved was quickly put to test when Hunter finally woke up and gave me the sexiest barely-there smile in the history of barely-there smiles.

I was just kissing those glorious lips earlier! Shouted my hormone induced subconscious.

Shut up, you whore! Said the other, smarter part of me.

I turned my back on Hunter and buried my face in the pages of my Philosophy notebook. Good thing I was already a few feet away from him. I couldn't imagine what I would do if he woke up and found me kissing him. I'd probably just volunteer for a live demonstration of death by guillotine.

"Sky..." I heard him called in a hoarse voice so sexy I wanted to cry.

I inhaled deeply, trying to steady my breathing which proved to be a challenge since I could feel his eyes on me, sending shivers down my spine and making the hair at the back of my neck stood in waves.

"Yes?" I said, not daring to look at him for the fear that my face would give away my recent crime. If our gender had been reversed, Hunter could sue me for harassment.

"Join me here."

"Why?"

"I have something to tell you."

I braved a look at him and saw him sitting on the edge of the bed, looking at me with a strange expression on his face; a mixture of confusion, awe, and something I couldn't identify. I stood up and found myself walking towards him like he had some kind of a magnetic pull on me.

"What's wrong?" I asked, a little worried.

I was taken aback when he reached out and grabbed my hand. He pulled me towards him, wrapping his arms around my waist and burying his face on my stomach. For a moment, I just stood there like a statue, frozen from my shock.

"Sky..." he breathed deeply.

I gulped, torn between my pride that was telling me to push him away and my heart that was telling me to do the opposite.

Hands shaking, I reached out to touch his hair.

"A-are you okay?" I asked him.

"Okay is an understatement."