Chapter 20: Threats and Declarations

I wasn't ugly. That I knew. I wasn't saying that to brag or anything. I was just simply describing myself. Some people even considered me pretty, and by some people, I meant my parents. Shawn said I looked exotic in a good way. Like a rare breed of tarantula. I took that as a compliment.

Anyway, I never cared much about my looks. Why would I when I could step on the school looking like a cross between Shrek and a baboon's backside and my classmates wouldn't even so much as give me a glance? That was one of the perks of being invisible. A luxury I lost when I became Hunter's buddy.

Anyway, I was far from being vain. That was why it was a bit of a shock when I found myself staring at my reflection in the mirror the next morning. My chestnut brown hair was shinier than usual, my cheeks were flushed pink, and I was glowing. Even the dark purple circles around my eyes that usually put raccoons to shame didn't look that bad.

They said happy girls were the prettiest. I had to agree.

I like you, Skylar Davies.

Those words were on repeat inside my head ever since last night. I smiled. What a wonderful feeling it was to be liked by someone you love! Granted, Hunter was just probably on sugar high when he said that, but who cares? He liked me! I felt like I was on cloud nine.

Now all I needed to do was to confess my love to him!

I stopped smiling.

Confess... Love...

I suddenly felt like I was forgetting something really important. There was something about those words that made the warning bells inside my head tingle like a cat on heat.

Memories of that first night Hunter and I hang out together flooded my mind:

"I bet you fifty bucks you'll be confessing your undying love to me a month from now."

"Keep telling that to yourself."

"You're right, make it one hundred bucks, then."

I grabbed my cellphone and looked at the date.

Five days before the end of Hunter's deadline. I breathed a sigh of relief. Five more days to win the bet.

A small, almost creepy smile slowly returned to my face.

Confessions could wait. I wouldn't miss this chance to beat Hunter in his own game.

After five days, I'd have Hunter's one hundred bucks. And maybe also his heart.

***

"I am Switzerland and anywhere I currently am is neutral territory." I declared as soon as I spotted Cain and Hunter walking towards me from opposite directions. I was busy thinking about our music performance on Friday and I didn't want any distractions right now.

"You heard her." Hunter told Cain as soon as they were within earshot of each other.

"And so have you but you're still here." Cain replied coldly.

"I am her buddy. She needs me." Hunter said.

"And she's my school guide. I need her." Cain fired back.

"Stop talking as if I'm not here." I huffed in annoyance. We were in the middle of the school hallway and I didn't appreciate being caught between them while they were trying to create another scene.