forty-two

"Miss Michaels?"

Julia's breath shocked when she heard her last name and she stood up to indicate it was her, Senna following her. The past thirty minutes had been the longest of her life. She had done a test so they could see if she was actually pregnant. And they finally got the results after letting her wait for half an hour.

"It's gonna be alright."

Julia just quickly nodded at what her sister said and followed the doctor inside the office. She didn't even want to think about the results yet. She wouldn't even know where to start.

"Go sit down girls."

Julia sat down on one of the wooden chairs in front of the big desk. She pushed her shaking hands underneath her thighs, not wanting to show how nervous she was even though it was probably obvious anyway.

It seemed to take an eternity for the doctor to close the door and sit down as well. He then grabbed the papers and ordened them as he said "we looked at a few scans and did another test, as you know."

Julia nodded while looking him straight in the eyes, barely moving.

"They all came out positive. You're pregnant."

So many things happened at the same time after the doctor told her. The office started to spin, she heard Senna say something which was far away, she couldn't even feel her legs anymore.

"You're seven weeks pregnant now, which is of course still early enough for you to decide whether you want to keep it or not," the doctor's voice echoed in her head.

Did she want to keep it? Was she able to take care of it? Of course, she had been wanting a baby. But not this early. And not on her own. This was a thing Dom and her always wanted.

The doctor shove a glass of water closer to her so she could take it and take a sip. Her hands were shaking too much to drink normally though, and she felt like she spilled half of the glass over her pants.

"Is the dad still in the picture?" the doctor asked her. Julia felt how Senna squeezed her hand a little tighter when the question was asked.

"No- No he isn't," Julia managed to say, causing the doctor to nod and write something down.

"Do you know who the father is?"

Julia felt so stupid and embarrassed. The doctor probably thought she had a one night stand, especially because she was only seven weeks pregnant.

"I do," she nodded. "We broke up."

She stayed surprisingly calm, despite from the fact that she was shaking uncontrollably. At least she wasn't crying. That would probably come later.

"I see," the doctor nodded. "Well, whatever decision you may make, I can help you through the proces, so don't worry about that."

The fact that she had to make a decision soon made her feel sick to her stomach alone. Both would have lots of impact on her, that was for sure. Especially keeping it, of course.

"We'll stay in contact. Call me in case you have any questions or if something's wrong. It can be anything, just call me."

The man wrote something on a piece of paper and shove it into her direction. Senna took it off the table and put it in her pocket while Julia was staring at the glass of water on the desk, sitting on her hands again.

"Take your time to think about it. Do whatever feels the best to you."

-

"There is a child growing in me, Senna! Which happens to be Dom's! I can't fucking calm down!"

Tears were running down her cheeks now while Julia had her head against the driver's seat, looking out of the front window.