nine

It surprised Julia a little that the pouring rain hadn't woken her up earlier than one in the afternoon, but the sound of her phone ringing did cause her to open her eyes and look around confusedly for a moment. She was laying on the right side of the couch in Dom's house, a blanket wrapped around her body, while he was laying on the left side, the small blanket he had given himself on the ground so that nothing was covering his body anymore.

Julia's attention shifted away from him quickly as her phone rang again and got her to bend over to the table to pick it up.

It was Becca. All of a sudden she got reminded of her fight with Becca the day before; for some reason she had totally forgotten about it.

"Hey Bec," she said tiredly as she decided to answer the phone because speaking to her girlfriend was probably needed to fix their conflict.

"Where the fuck were you? It's 1pm! You never sleep until late!" Becca spoke loudly through the phone, not even greeting Julia.

Julia stood up from the couch and quicky rushed to the bathroom to continue her phone call there so she wouldn't wake Dom up.

"I... I forgot to set an alarm and fell asleep late last night," Julia told her girlfriend. It wasn't particularly a lie. She just left out the fact that she was at Dom's house. But it was better not to tell Becca.

"I thought you hated me. I sent you like ten messages," Becca said, sighing.

"Of course I- I don't. I'm sorry."

"Sorry for the fight or for not answering my texts?" Becca asked her, making Julia sigh in her turn.

"Both."

"I'm sorry too then."

One thing she didn't like about her girlfriend was how Becca never admitted when she was wrong, only if Julia did it first. It always ended up in Julia apologizing for everything, even if she had no idea what she was apologizing for.

"Okay," Julia just answered, not showing her irritations.

"Can I come over so we can talk?" Becca proposed. "I feel like that's better than over the phone."

"No," was Julia's first reaction, and she was as taken aback by it as Becca probably was. She quickly tried to save herself. "I'm- I'm supposed to pick Sofia up from daycare in an hour. You can come at 3 or 4, though."

It was silent for a moment, which freaked Julia out completely because she didn't know whether Becca believed her or not. But Becca eventually mumbled "alright", making Julia breathe out in relief.

"I'll be there at 3."

"Okay. I'll see you."

"See you."

Even though Julia never initiated it, she felt her heart drop a little when she realized Becca didn't say I love you before she hung up. She always did.

Julia decided to not make a big deal out of it and just go back to the living room to wake Dom up and tell him she was leaving.

Once she got back to the couch, Dom was up and he had picked up the blanket from the floor, wrapped it around his shoulders and he was staring at the tv he had turned on.

"Hey Dom."

He jumped a little at her sudden voice, but smiled at her once he turned around. "Hey."