eighteen

Dom had left an hour before Julia's parents came home, which was perfect. It seemed like he had never even been there, although it was hard for Julia to contain her feelings in front of her mom, especially when she thought about seeing Dom again that night.

But it worked, and it seemed like no one ever suspected anything.

But as Julia was already getting ready to come to Dom's show tonight, after coming home from work, and tell her mom she would go to Becca's house again, her little step sister came into her room, crying.

"Hey sweetheart what's wrong?" Julia asked concernedly when the door opened slowly and she saw Sofia looking at her with tears rolling down her cheeks. Julia didn't hesitate to open her arms for Sofia, and the girl ran into them.

"Think I boke the promise," Sofia told her and she immediately bursted into tears, not being able to contain herself anymore.

"You- What do you mean?"

Julia stopped hugging Sofia immediately and placed her hands on the girl's shoulders to push her away and look at her. It only caused Sofia to cry louder.

"Sofia what do you mean? What did you tell them?"

Julia tried her best to stay calm around Sofia and not sound mad, but she couldn't deny she was starting to get worried now. If her mom knew about Dom coming over it would be over for them.

"Don't know," Sofia cried, shaking her head as she tried her hardest to bury her face in Julia's chest, who didn't let that happen.

"Look at me honey," she said instead, holding Sofia's face. "Stop crying. I'm not mad at you. I just want to know what you said."

"Boke the pomise," Sofia could only say as she was sobbing.

"I know, but that's alright. What did you say?"

Sofia finally rubbed her eyes and looked at Julia. She didn't stop crying, though. "I told daddy that Dom was gonna color my hair."

Julia felt her heart sink and her heart rate going up at the same time and she could only breathe out "oh", trying to contain herself from yelling at Sofia. She knew Sofia felt sorry and she didn't do it on purpose. She was just excited.

At least Julia knew now that Dom's promise wasn't as good as she thought it was.

"What did your dad say to that?"

"He asked who he is," Sofia said quietly. She obviously noticed that Julia was frustrated.

"What did you say?" Julia asked her, letting Sofia's face go to lean back and pray that Sofia hadn't made it worse than it already was now.

"My fiend."

"And he didn't say anything to that?"

Sofia shook her head but started sobbing again after she had just stopped for a few seconds. Julia sighed and pulled the girl in for another hug, knowing there was no reason to get mad at her now as it had already happened.

"It's alright. It happened," Julia said, not only to Sofia but also to convince herself that it would actually be okay.

But no matter how much she could convince herself that, she wasn't surprised that she ended up in a fight with her mom.

-

"I told you I just mentioned Dom to her on accident and she remembered! I don't even know how she-"

"Stop lying to me, Julia! Sofia was telling her dad that Dom was going to dye her hair! Why would she even make that up?!"

Her mother had been standing in the doorway for a while now, yelling at Julia who was sitting on her bed. Sofia had already left the room, which was better because the yelling would have made her feel even more guilty.