Chapter 51

I don't particularly enjoy writing battles, but this chapter was rather satisfying to write. I've been waiting for it since I started this series!

Fire, Ice, Shockwaves, Electricity, Magnesium, Plasma, Venom, and Scalding water all simultaneously hit the Bewhilderbeasts, knocking them backwards. With a roar, they caught themselves, and resumed their charge, only to be met by another wall of attack.

Then, the dragons spread out, swirling around like a turbine and clawing at the Bewhilderbeasts. The great dragons roared, and swung their tails like they were swatting flies, but the dragons dodged, and continued.

Blasts slammed into the legs of each Bewhilderbeast, knocking him or her to the ground, where like locusts, they descended, their attacks ferocious.

And finally, it was too much for the youngest to bear. 'I forfeit!' the smallest Bewhilderbeast cried out in a small voice. Immediately, the dragons retreated, their attacks stopping. 'NO!' Vrynilk roared, but the surrendered competitor did not rise.

Then, the dragons doubled their attacks, rolling one of the Bewhilderbeasts over and scratching at his soft underbelly. The Bewhilderbeast roared in pain. 'I forfeit!' And the dragons took off, joining the attack on the other two Bewhilderbeasts.

But these two were hardier, and would not give up so easily, knowing the punishments their master could inflict upon them.

So, mustering their strength, the two simultaneously jerked up, throwing off the attacking dragons. Before anyone had a chance to react, their ice breath had shot through the air, freezing scores of dragons.

Immediately, the charge dissipated, the dragons descending into chaos as they fought to escape.

But the Bewhilderbeasts were angry now, and their ice had reduced the number of attacking dragons to half by the time the skies were clear.

Vrynilk chuckled. 'Not so confident now, are you!' he gloated. Then, he turned to the two remaining Bewhilderbeasts. 'Find them, and make sure every single one is dead or surrendered!'

Behind the crest of the hill where the battle was taking place, Azure was clustered with the remaining dragons, all fearful and subdued.

'Don't give up yet!' he pleaded, 'just because our enemies are stronger than us, doesn't mean we should stop fighting for what we believe in! If we put our minds together, there's nothing we can do, with or without the upper hand!'

The Bewhilderbeasts roared, and thumped towards the edge of the area, where the dragons had vanished. And then, without waiting to peer over, they fired a blast of ice.

Which froze only rock!

Confused, the two Bewhilderbeasts looked down at their ice, and were met with a faceful of fire, launched by dragons hiding in small caves below the main rock!

The two ice dragons roared, and stumbled back, right into a crowd of dragons who had looped around from behind! Venom, Fire and Plasma struck, and the Bewhilderbeasts once again roared with pain, turning around to face their adversary.

But the dragons from behind the ridge flew out, striking the two in the back of the head!

The Bewhilderbeasts spun from side to side, not sure where to attack, always blasted in the opposite direction.

And then, while they were distracted, a third group of dragons sprung from the water below, their attacks slamming into the underbellies of each of the Bewhilderbeasts! The two roared, caught completely by surprise, and keeled over, collapsing on the ground.