Chapter 14

I went back to Chapter 13, and edited it a bit. If you don't want to go back and have to read the whole thing, the most major thing changed was that it doesn't make sense, if the bomb is going to destroy the island, to have the Berkians on it, so I have stated that they will jump into the water when things get serious.

BOOM!!!

A wave of fire emanated from the bomb, slamming violently against the buildings. Propelled by more waves of fire, the flames shot up, ballooning into the sky. The Berkians flinched as the building shuddered, and the front wall fell off.

But the bomb wasn't done. Small jets of explosives flew in all directions, exploding into bright yellow flashes. There were booms and crashes, and jets of a different color slammed into the first jets, exploding in their color. Sharp waves of fire shot out in all directions, repeatedly slamming against the buildings or rushing into the sky, making the whole scene as conspicuous as possible.

Then, jets of red fire shot out of the bomb straight at the Berkians, which Hiccup recognized as similar to the ones he had set on Ruffnut and Tuffnut. "DUCK!" he yelled, and the Berkians immediately complied. The charges exploded right behind them, shattering the metal behind them.

"That's the signal, everyone into the water!" Hiccup ordered, and the Berkians sprinted from the burning building, plunging into the water and quickly swimming away. Finally, when Hiccup deemed they were far enough, he stopped swimming, and turned around.

And from a front view, Hiccup could see just how amazing the design of this bomb was. From inside the fire, it looked like a waste of charges. But from the outside, it looked like a battle!

Hiccup watched in awe as a ring of destructive fire shot from the sides of the bomb, finally obliterating all the buildings.  And as he was blown backwards,  Hiccup grinned. "Genius!" Then, Hiccup heard a rapid beeping, and Ruffnut and Tuffnut's instructions came back to him.

"EVERYBODY GET DOWN!" he yelled, and dove under the water, putting his hands over his head. The Berkians copied, and just in time.

KABOOM!!!

The bomb itself finally exploded, sending out an immense wave of destructive fire that scorched the metal and turned it to ash, and ballooned into the clouds with a resounding crash!

And then the fire subsided, and the air was filled with a thick smoke. Cautiously, Hiccup poked his head out of the water, and stared at the wreckage of the island around him. Small fires burned all over the blackened floors, barely two feet of a wall was standing anywhere. The other Berkians emerged as well, and stared around in shock, wiping ash from their faces.

Then, they cheered. The explosion had been a success! "We're alive!" Tyler shouted! "Surprisingly..." Sarah muttered under her breath, although she was grinning as well. Hiccup just smiled. Despite the dreary appearance of the island, he knew everything was going according to plan.

~/|\~

"An explosion of that magnitude could not have occurred through natural means!" the sentry reported, and the general nodded. "Send a team out to investigate. I want to know what happened." he told the screen projected from his watch, where his officer's face was displayed. "Right away, sir." the sentry said, and the screen went blank.

The general looked up as he approached a door, which swung in when it detected his chip. Marching into the  control center, the general saw technicians replaying the video of the explosion, and running a complicated analasis.

"The initial explosion seems to have come from some central source, which is hidden from the view of our cameras." the technician pressed a button on his computer, which highlighted the point of origin.

"Then, it appears that charges were set off from many unique points, which can be roughly graphed into two sides." Another command displayed the rough approximation for sides.

"And it appears that the final explosion, of a fairly immense magnitude, came from a slightly different point of origin, but seems to have been set off by a series of charges from one 'side.'" A final command zoomed in on a few charges which immediately preceded the beginning of the large explosion.

The general nodded. "What does that mean?" "It appears that there must have been a battle of sorts." the technician replied. "Someone was fighting someone else, and one of the sides won."

"A mystery indeed." the general said, "perhaps the rescue team will find survivors who can tell us what happened."

~/|\~

The rescue hoverplanes shot over the ocean, pulling swiftly into a hover over the still burning island. Beams of light flicked on, and the searchlights swept over the island, looking for a trace of what had happened. And as a searchlight slid over a patch of ocean nearby, it spotted a body.

Immediately, the spotlight returned to the floating body, which to the surprise of the investigators, looked up and waved its hands.

One of the hovercraft descended, stilling just four feet from the ground. The doors slid open, and the person was pulled inside, coughing and spluttering water.

"Are you okay, mister?" asked one of the rescuers, for they could now see it was a man. "P-please..." the man said, "there are others... help them..." And he fell into unconsciousness.

Leaving him for the medics, the rescuer rushed to the cockpit. "He says there are more! We need to find them!" The communications officer nodded, and radioed the other craft, notifying them. Soon, the other planes descended, searching over the near ocean.

And quickly, they found bodies. Men, women and children, all alive but bruised and beaten, struggling to stay up in the ashy water. It took almost an hour, but soon, the ocean was clear.

"This is Rescue 11126487653. All survivors have been found. Many in need of medical attention. Returning now."

The general confirmed the message, and smiled grimly. With purpose, he left the hub and marched down the sleek metal halls towards the Med-bay. "Time to find out what danger is on our coast." the general muttered to himself.

~/|\~

Hiccup lay on a cot, feigning pain. Medics rushed over to him, treating the scrapes and burns he had intentionally inflicted, and pumping the water out of his "lungs", which was actually some he gathered in his mouth.

Shoulders slumped but mind alert, Hiccup listened to the conversations of the medics.

"We'll be heading to the Med-bay as backup doctors,"

"Oh boy! The general plans to interrogate them."

"Ouch! Probably not the most comfortable awakening for them!"

Hiccup groaned softly, and the medics rushed over, giving him another dose of medicine he didn't need. But even as he faked pain, Hiccup felt a rush of joy.

He was going home.

A bit of a short chapter, but an important one! I'm saving lots of good stuff for the next few chapters!