23. Birthday

Arianna De Luca

"I'm ready," I announced as I stepped out of my closet. It's my birthday today and Dario has thrown me a lavish party here, at our mansion. Everyone from his business acquaintances to our friends are invited. Even my dad and Alicia are here. Nina helped me getting ready in my room while Dario's downstairs looking after all the arrangements.

"You look beautiful, Ari." Nina complimented and Matteo nodded in agreement, entering my room. After a few quick words, Matteo took Nina with him to introduce her to other people. I put on my white pumps and got ready to go out.

I descended down the stairs and saw Dario standing there. He was wearing black pants and a black shirt since today's theme is black. I stepped down, my heels clicking on the marbled floor, drawing his attention. He kept his phone in his pocket and extended his hand towards me as I neared the ending of the staircase.

I smiled at him and took his hand, stepping down from the stairs. He held my waist and his eyes raked up and down my body length making me nervous. "How do I look?" I asked nervously.

"Like a dark angel. Like my dark angel." He said emphasising 'my'. I smiled at his comment and kissed the corner of his mouth. He smirked at my action and I wrapped my arms around his neck, pulling him in for a kiss. The kiss was slow and gentle unlike the passionate or heavy ones we've shared earlier. He surprisingly cut it short and I furrowed my eyebrows at him once I pulled away.

"Don't look at me like that or else I'll take you upstairs and make you scream my name so hard, everybody standing in this hall wished they were us." He whispered near my ear as his dark brown eyes grew even dark and his voice turned huskier than before.

"Okay." I pouted and he pecked my lips lightly.

"Besides, we still have the night." He cheekily said and I chuckled at him, shaking my head a little. He wrapped his arm around my waist and led me towards the sea of people chatting and mingling amongst themselves.

Dario introduced me to a number of people tonight, half of which I'll probably never see again in my life. Truth be told, something inside me fluttered every time he'd introduce me as his wife or pull me towards him and smiled down at me. Listening, 'Arianna De Luca' from his mouth does things to me. He has an effect on me no one else had before.

"Aria, it's time for cake cutting." Dario said breaking me from my chain of thoughts. I kept my glass of champagne down on the nearby table and walked to the centre of our living room. A table was set there already with a magnificent three-tier cake sitting on it. It was a chocolate cake with different toppings on it like berries and fake leaves, giving it a hint of nature.

 It was a chocolate cake with different toppings on it like berries and fake leaves, giving it a hint of nature

Dario handed me the knife and everybody sang the birthday song when I cut the cake. I took a piece and fed it to Dario. I know my dad and Alicia were standing there too but I was beyond grateful that Dario was here and he was celebrating my birthday. My dad always said he'd take me somewhere or do things on my birthday but he never did any of those. I prefer action over words.

After the cake was cut, the dinner was served. We had Mexican food today since it's my favourite cuisine and I was surprised Dario knew this. After that they called us to have the first dance.

Dario extended his hand and I gladly took it with a smile. He led me to the center of the hall. The lights dimmed around us and we were under the spotlight. Soft music started playing in the background.

Dario pulled me to his chest and I wrapped my arms around his neck. I kept my head against his chest and listened to his heartbeats. He kissed the top of my head and continued swaying our bodies to the music. I was letting him lead me since I was so overwhelmed by all the things he'd done for me.

"You know, when I first agreed to marry you, I though my life would be hell. We had never met each other and were complete strangers, tied in a loveless marriage. I imagined I'd curse you or even hate you but... but today I realise how grate it has been to have you as my husband. Honestly, I'm very grateful that you're my husband." I whispered near his ear and lifted my head from his chest to look him in the eye.

He had a foreign emotion in his eyes. One that I've never seen before. He registered my words and slowly nodded his head, still baffled by my words.

I know, he's surprised but I mean everything I just said. I'm so beyond grateful for him. I'm so thankful to have him in my life. I smiled at him and kept my arms on his biceps.

I tiptoed a bit and kissed him for the second time that night.