Violet was getting ready to head over when she turned around sensing Temp was going to fall into hermit mode again.

"You're still coming for dinner, right?"

Temperance nodded. "Yes. I'll bring the book too. I would like to talk to your mama about this."

Violet's eyes lit up with hope. "Good. It is going to be an interesting evening. The gumbo couldn't have better company." She winked, walking across the street, and then stopping in the middle. "Hey," she called over to Temp, who was opening the front gate already.

"Yeah?"

"Considering that we have been best friends since we were knee high, and we're like sisters from another mother..." Her voice trailed.

Temperance knew where this was headed.

Violet tucked her tongue in her cheek. "Doesn't that give me privy to the information that is inside your head at any given time?"

Temperance smiled, shaking her head in exhaustion. "Of course it does. And hello, you can read it anytime. Preferably upon request though."

Violet nodded, knowing Temperance was being comical. She didn't read Temp daily, only when she was in her dark mood. "So why in the world haven't you told me before today about the vision?"

Temperance let her head fall back in exasperation. "Violet, it's been an insane past forty eight hours. I vow I will tell you every damn detail tonight."

Violet's eyebrows lifted, her eyelashes blinking rapidly. "Good. I think mama will have some insight as well. Something is gathering...." She rubbed her arms. "I can feel it."

"Yes. I can too," Temperance admitted, glancing at the brightly lit stars in the sky.

"After all, Temp, who actually meets angels in the midst of a Mardi Gras?"

Jingling her keys, Temperance walked forward to her porch. "Apparently we do," she said under her breath. She nodded to her house. "I'll be over in a bit."

Satisfied with the answer, Violet entered her front door and watched as Temperance opened hers and closed it behind her.

"Mama," she hollered, her eyes locked onto Temperance's house.

Lilly's store was empty now, the closed sign hanging on the front door. The smell of home hit Violet's nostrils. Gumbo was in the pot. Lilly had always made certain that their home would never lose traces of warmth or the foundation of what they were accustomed to. With the new business it sometimes seemed like that's all there was.

She heard Lilly's footsteps coming from their apartment above. She left the window and called again, placing her bags on the velvet sofa. She flipped through her phone while waiting, taking a quick peek at her calendar that denoted the ball tomorrow. Gaige was rather upset that she didn't want to attend with him, but seemed consoled with the idea that Temp really needed a friend, and that perhaps they would attend another at a later date. He knew the death of her mother had been a shock to all, and one that left Temperance very bitter.

Violet ran up the hardwood stairs, only to find her mother at the stove, her I-Pod earphones snug in place. Violet had given them as a Christmas gift. She smiled and walked up to her, touching her on the shoulder.

Lilly beamed at Violet, tapping the pot with the wooden spoon. "You're back so soon," she wiped her hands on her apron then. "Did you and Temperance find something at Adelaide's?"

Violet began setting the table with small plates and generous bowls. "You can say that. Temp had a vision, Mama."

Lilly paused, turning from the oven briefly, donning an oven mitt. "That is good. I knew it wasn't lost." She pulled the cast iron muffin tin from the oven that was filled to the rim with homemade cornbread muffins. Her eyes met Violet's. "You have to have faith, love." She methodically placed the cornbread into the already lined basket.

"Yeah, well I found out today at Adelaide's. And that was after we had an encounter with Hazel and that guy I saw in the street the other night."

Lilly put the muffins and butter on the table, along with some Tabasco sauce for the Gumbo.

"I venture we have a lot of talking to do this evening," she said, walking back to the stove, giving the gumbo another good stir.

Violet snuck a hot muffin, lathering it up with room temperature butter. "When are you going to tell her, Mama?"

Lilly paused for a moment, the wooden spoon like dead weight in her hand. "In time, love. All in due time..."

Authors Note:

Thank you so much for reading this chapter of How Deep the Roots Go. If you enjoyed it, it would be wonderful if you could vote. Feel free to leave comments as well. I answer every one. And last of all, if you follow me, you will find out right away when there are updates or new stories.

xoxo,

M