Chapter Thirty-Six

Start from the beginning

"Oh, Meng!" She caught the assistant as she rounded the corner, grasping the girl's arms tightly. "Aunt Wu says I'm going to meet my true love! He's going to give me a rare Panda Lily!" The girl turned, batting her eyes at Aang.

"How romantic! I wish my true love would gift me a rare flower!"

"Good luck with that," the airbender responded, and Orzala facepalmed so hard that she swore she felt her brain rattling in her head. The woman muttered something, and Meng quickly pushed her away to focus on Aang. As she walked toward them, she tripped. Sokka released a small screech as the bean curds began to fly, but Aang caughtly the girl swiftly. He raised his gaze to meet hers, and Meng's cheeks flushed a hot cherry red. 

"Um, I hope you enjoy your snacks!" The child stuttered, passing the bean curds and darting out of the room. Sokka snatech the plate with the speed of lightning, digging into the pastries. A igdignant growl left his throat as Orzala reached for one, and her eyes widened in disbelief. Her lips finally turned to a scowl, and she flicked his head before snatching the plate and flipping him off.

"Welcome young travelers!" Orzala's gaze snapped to the voice, finding an old woman in front of them. As she examined the woman, Sokka reclaimed the curd puffs. Aunt Wu's eyes swept over the two, her red lips immediately pulling into a smile. "Now, who's next? Don't be shy."

The boys glanced at one another, noth shaking their head indignitly. Katara only smiled at the silence, hopping up to speak. "I guess that's me," she said, excitement dripping from her voice. The woman smiled, motioning for the girl to follow. Katara shot her friends a joyful smile before rushing off.

Orzala's jade eyes stared after her, shining with amusement. Sokka smacked loudly beside her as he ate the puffs, leaning into her line of vision to offer her a pastry. The girl's nose crinkled and she declined him politely. He shrugged, turning to Aang to do the same.

"I'm good on puffs," the airbender told him, pushing the plate away as he looked after Katara. "So, what do you think they're talking about back there?" Sokka gulped loudly as he examined the tea.

"Boring stuff, I'm sure. Love, who she's going to marry, how many kids she's going to have." Orzala raised an eyebrow as he spoke. Her heart sunk to her stomach, though she didn't know why. The princess turned away as a frown overtook her features.

"You think that stuff is boring?" Orzala asked, her voice as quiet as a breeze. Sokka turned toward her, eyebrows furrowed in concern. He had never heard her sound so small. The boy set aside his tea and scooted closer to her, resting his cheek on her turned back.

"I mean, for me, yeah. I don't want to know about that stuff. It takes away the mystery," he explained, frowning when he felt her tense beneath him. "Besides, none of it will be true, anyway. It's just a bunch of superstition."

Orzala nodded, her movements slow as she turned to glance back at him. As his baby blue eyes met hers, she forced a quaint smile to her lips and pushed away the dread in her heart. Her smile fell once more as Aang waltzed back in with a pleased look. "Where did you go? Why are you so happy?" She questioned, making the boy blush a beet red.

"I- uh-"

"Were you spying, Aang?" The boy's eyes widened, and a wide smirk crept onto Orzala's face. "You listened in on Katara's fortune! And I'm assuming you heard something you liked." Aang began to stumble over his words as Sokka turned to him, leveling him with a challenging glare.

"Why are you creeping on my sister?"

Before Aang could answer, Katara returned, looking quite pleased with herself. Aunt Wu was not far behind. "Who's next?" Sokka rose with a groan, raising his hand slightly.

"Let's get this over with." 

The old woman took a mere glance at him and frowned. "Your future is full of struggle and anguish, most of it self-inflicted." The eldest boy gaped at her.

"You didn't even read my palms!"

"I didn't have to. It's written all over your face." Sokka shot her an irritated glance, but Aunt Wu strode over to him, snatching his wrist to glance at his palm. She released a small hum, eyebrows furrowing as she traced the lines. "On the bright side, you will find a love, and it will be greater than you can imagine." As she looked on, her old eyes widened. "That's not possible..."

Sokka furrowed his own eyebrows, pulling his hand away quickly. "What? What is it?" The woman shot him a cautious glance before shaking her head.

"It is nothing," she reassured. "I must've read it wrong. Now," Aunt Wu turned toward Orzala, offering a weak smile, "I suppose you would like to go next." The princess shrugged, but returned the smile and followed. Sokka only huffed, plopping back onto the cushion and crossing his arms. His gaze drifted to Katara.

"What'd she tell you?" He asked, and Katara gave a dreamy sigh.

"Just some stuff about love." Sokka scoffed. 

Meanwhile, Aunt Wu ran her fingers delicately along Orzala's palms, tracing the lines with an abnormal precision. The princess watched her closer, eyes steely as she examined the woman's wrinkled face. She took note of every twitch of her eye or lips. "I see a lover in your future," the woman said with a smirk. Orzala couldn't help but chuckle. "A non-bender, but a strong, powerful leader all the same." The princess's heart beat fluttered in her chest, but she pushed the thought away as the woman furrowed her eyebrows, pausing suddenly. A tense moment passed.

"There is a great battle raging inside you," the woman breathed finally, allowing her eyes to widen as she looked up at Orzala. "A battle of good and evil. It's growing, much like a fire." The woman's fingers drifted toward the pulse point of her wrist, and she sucked in a sharp breath. Aunt Wu exhaled shakily as she returned her gaze to Orzala's. "I see now," she whispered, eyes darting to the door. The girl's eyebrows furrowed.

"What is it that you see?" Orzala asked, moving to grasp the woman's hand. She felt dread building up in her chest as the woman glanced around, her eyes searching every part of the room so they wouldn't rest on her.

"It is not a battle of good and evil, but something else." She shook her head, pulling away from Orzala's grasp to stand. The princess rushed after her, hands trembling as she wove through the endless possibilities in her mind. Aunt Wu paused at the door, flashing her a forced smile. "This is all I can say. You must find your destiny on your own. But know this child: 

"You are a flame of hope to this world."