Thirteen

Ambrose knocks frantically at his uncle's door, praying that he would answer and let him into his bedchamber.

As soon as he arrived home from the mountains, he ran up the stairs to the palace, leaving Magnus alone in the carriage.

He wanted to get away from Magnus. As far away as humanly possible. He was terribly embarrassed about what occurred on the mountain, his cheeks heating up at the thought.

His lips tingled, a constant reminder that he kissed Magnus. He couldn't help but think back to the feel of his lips against Magnus'.

Magnus' lips were plush, soft, and silky against his own. It reminded Ambrose of the way Johnathan kissed him before he began to hurt him.

It was no surprise that Ambrose was seeking love and attention from another man. He craved his mate, and in a moment of weakness he turned to Magnus.

Being held in the older man's arms brought him a sense of comfort that he thought he'd never be able to receive again.

Ambrose, holding back tears, pounds his fist harder against the dark wood of the door. The loud noise echoing throughout the hallway.

Finally, the door opens, revealing a tired looking Ren. He gazes down at his nephew, a questioning look in his eyes.

"Ambrose?" Ren says, rubbing his eyes with the back of his hands. "What's wrong?"

"Can I speak to Levi, please," Ambrose asks, taking a step in the direction of the doorway.

Ren blocks his path, pressing a gentle hand to his chest and guiding him back.

"Levi is resting right now. He didn't get much sleep last night," Ren responds, glancing back into his bedchamber. Presumably looking at Levi's sleeping form.

Ambrose flushes, taking a step back from his uncle.

"Oh... I didn't realize that you were doing-"

"No!" Ren shakes his head vigorously. "No, no, no. We weren't doing that. Levi received a letter from his father yesterday. He wouldn't tell me what the letter contained, but whatever was in there made him upset. Distraught. Now isn't the best time to visit him."

Ambrose's eyebrows furrow. He was so concentrated on his own problems, that not once did he stop to think that Levi could be suffering as well.

As his new role as Levi's friend, it was his job to comfort him. So he would listen to Levi if he wanted to talk about the letter. Or about anything bothering him for the matter.

It was even more of a reason to speak with Levi. They both needed support.

"I apologize, Uncle, but I have to speak with Levi," Ambrose says, slipping past Ren and into his bedchamber. He slams the door shut before Ren could grab hold of Ambrose.

Ambrose turns the lock on the door, successfully keeping his uncle our. He hears Ren curse from the other side.

"Sorry," Ambrose says again, praying that Ren wouldn't be too mad at him.

Ambrose hears Ren mumble an indiscernible string of words before his footsteps are heard echoing down the hallway.

Ambrose sighs, turning around, his eyes slowly adjusting to the dim room.

"Ambrose?" a meek voice says, making his eyes lock onto Levi's tired ones. "What are you doing here?"

"Levi," Ambrose makes his way over to the side of the bed, grabbing hold of Levi's hand. "Ren said you were upset over something. Is there anything I can help you with? I know that we have only known each other for a short while, but it is good to talk about what is bothering you."