They hear a high pitched bark and footsteps, and then the door swings open. Their dad stands in the opening, with his charming smile, light blue eyes, and sandy blond hair now tinged with grey perfectly swept back. Something about his authoritative surety and natural engaging poise always gave his children pause, not exactly hesitation, just a youthful wonder at someone who can command a room with a glance and a smile.

Jackson and Avery rush and hug him at the same time. Their dad laughs and brings them close. "Happy Thanksgiving kids," he says in his rough, deep voice.

"Angel? Oh, the kids are here! Wonderful."

Their dad steps away with a contented smile. Jackson sees a thin woman with long, bleach blond hair and red lipstick. She's gorgeous and probably twenty years younger than their dad. Right next to her red heels is a small, white chihuahua who barks at them again.

"Jackson, Avery," their dad says pointing to them, and then with a flourish to the woman, who blushes but does not look embarrassed in the least, "this is my fiancé, Angela Miller."

"It's so nice to finally meet both of you. I've heard so many good things," Angela says, and Jackson can just tell from the accent that she's grown up by the beach, probably Malibu if Jackson had to bet money. She gestures to her dog with a well manicured hand. "And this is Baby."

"Nice to meet you too, Angela," Jackson says immediately with his most practiced smile. He ignores the whirling thoughts in his head about how they are not only dating but engaged, and that this woman is probably closer to Jackson's age than his dad's, and that their little devil dog is named Baby.

Avery nods her head in agreement with a forced smile, but doesn't say anything.

Their dad, who can always sense potential awkwardness and has mastered the art of avoiding it, claps his hands together. "Well, hope everyone's hungry, because there's a lot of food."

They make their way to the living room, with their dad asking all the appropriate questions about school and friends and making all the appropriate jokes about how bad LAX is and that Jackson's team could beat their entire conference blindfolded.

Lunch is mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce, sweet potato casserole, stuffing, brussel sprouts, and green beans.

"We also have pumpkin pie," Angela whispers like it's a secret. Jackson has trouble smiling at this, and settles for a pleasantly surprised raise of his eyebrows. Jackson and Avery share a look.

"Dad, is there no turkey this year?" Jackson asks hesitantly. Angel has always prided himself on making the best turkey for Thanksgiving.

"Oh no, sorry. We're vegetarian," their dad says, catching Angela's eye and smiling in that way couples do when they share something about themselves and how they've changed each other for the better.

The forks and knives clang loudly like they do in louder silences. Angel keeps his smile on and starts to serve everyone.

"So, high school and college, right?" Angela says. She turns to Avery, and Jackson can just read his sister's mind. Please don't ask me questions. "You're a junior, if I remember correctly. How do you like high school?"

Avery shrugs. "It's fine." Jackson swears he sees a small smirk forming at the corner of her mouth. "I'm actually captain of the girl's lacrosse team this year."

This earns her a raised, perfectly threaded brow. Avery likes to shock people with that, and hear all the but isn't that so scary and I didn't know girls play that and oh you wouldn't prefer dance or ballet? "Wow, that's impressive. You know, I played basketball for UCLA."