Dawn

I did not sleep much that night; I was too nervous.

As I lay in bed, my mind simmered with thoughts. First and foremost, was this the right thing to do? Like, seriously? As irresistible as the prospect of seeing him was, I had to think sensibly. This could take me right back to square one.

You're still at square one, anyway, I reasoned.

No, you're not, I argued back. You've progressed. It's only because you're here that Llyr's such a huge issue. It will go away again when you move abroad! Don't get messed up with the mers again, Crystal. It's not going to be worth it.

I sat up. I should call that sea taxi and get off the island now. I could pack a bag and stay with Jemima on the mainland.

I swung my legs over the bed and picked up my phone, tapping the speed-dial button. My finger hovered over it.

Press it, Crystal.

Press it.

Urgh, can I really go through life not knowing what he had wanted?

Press it.

Maybe it would even do me good to see him, I thought hopefully. What if I didn't like him anymore? That would be perfect closure.

Impossible, I argued back. I could still picture him perfectly... his eyes, those lips, that smile. I couldn't imagine he had changed much; it had only been four years, after all.

Press the bloody button.

But I lay back down on the bed, my phone slipping from my fingers onto the duvet beside me, my argument with myself apparently now over.

I began to plan my outfit in my head... It would be quite cold at dawn, maybe I'd better wear jeans, although I would have to wear something a little bit sexy. What though?

I got out of bed and went one of the many unpacked bin bags that contained my clothes, tearing it open, and watching the assortment of materials explode into the room. I rifled through its contents, inspecting each garment as I went.

I held up a sheer navy short-sleeved polka dot blouse. It was fitted and fun, and if I didn't wear a vest top, he would be able to see the hint of my bra underneath.

I took it and hung it over my chair.

I climbed back into bed and closed my eyes.

I wondered if he wanted to see me or if he felt obliged to. Maybe he just felt bad for me, I thought worriedly. Should I act cool, or let my emotions show? I didn't want to look completely desperate. I would play it cool, I decided, and take it from there.

The sound of the waves lapping at the banks down below was soothing, and against all the odds, I drifted off to sleep.

***

My alarm went off at 4 a.m. I had figured that this would be the best time to wake up and wait for the light to come.

At first, I was exhausted and wanted to go back to sleep, but when I remembered what was happening this morning, I sat up and swung my legs out of bed.

I trudged into the bathroom and got into the shower. As the water beat over me, I had a recollection of my dream last night. It had been the same strange dream, about walking on sharp rocks. I was starting to think it was more than a trauma dream; it was so repetitive it was like it carried meaning.

What is my subconscious trying to tell me?

It kind of reminded me of a story Jemima had told me about her older sister dreaming of walking through freezing snow in the build-up to her wedding. It turned out she had eventually realized she literally had cold feet.

What does sore feet mean though?! Am I walking into something that would hurt me, maybe?

Probably, dumbo, I lectured myself, turning off the taps.

It appeared I had not totally reconciled with myself, and last night's conflict rattled on within as I walked back to my room and got dressed.

When I was ready, I headed downstairs and into the kitchen. I made myself a coffee and looked out into the back garden. It was slowly transforming from black to a deep blue, and I could hear the birds tweeting, waking one by one from their slumber.

By the time I finished my coffee, it would probably be time, I thought nervously. My stomach was literally in knots, as I sipped slowly.

When I finished, I washed the cup hurriedly and walked towards the backdoor. I took a huge deep breath and stepped outside into the dark blue light. The air was crisp, but I was not cold in my short sleeved shirt, and I walked slowly across the garden.

When I reached the top of the ocean stairway, I looked down at the jetty below and my thudding heart nearly burst through my ribcage. I could see half of a rowing boat at the end, while the jetty obscured the rest. He was here - just like the old days.

I walked down the stairs and out ahead, my pace was slightly quicker now than before. This is it. This is the moment I'm going to see him again.

When I was close enough, I peered over the edge into the vessel below.

He was exactly as I remembered. Handsome, muscular, long hair tied up to reveal a strong chiseled jaw. But it was not the merman I had loved.

It was the merman I hated.