Not Cool

There are two big fears I have in life. One is being struck by lightning, and the other is snakes. It is definitely something to do with the way in which they move, but it is also the danger that bite presents.

I wriggled frantically to get up, but the seal-man maintained his grasp on my shoulders. I raised my arm, swirling the knife around in my hand, in a desperate bid to strike him but I couldn't feel it connecting with anything. I began to realize that even if I did stab him, his costume would probably serve as effective armor.

I was stuck here, and the sea-snake was being brought closer. I internally wept as they stopped before me, and I saw its thin pointed fangs gnash the waters, while the seal-man held it by the neck. This was so not cool. This was not -

"Help!" I tremored to the circle.

Nothing happened. I closed my eyes. It was the only way to escape.

I'm being sacrificed, I realised. I was going to be killed by a snake to break the spell. This is why they brought me here tonight. Maybe this was even why I had been brought to the seas in the first place.

Oh, and what a way to die! I should never have gotten on that boat that day. I should have called a taxi the night before. Maybe I should never have broken up with Sam. I should have stayed in London in my loveless relationship. Anything would be better than this!

There was silence, and I opened an eye.

The reptile was stretched out before me, and I saw its blue and white striped body contract, as it continued its struggle. What are they even waiting for? They should just let it at me, put me out of my misery.

"The serpent must surface soon to breathe, or it will die. For the ritual to succeed, it is you that must slay it, landling." the man boomed from above.

I blinked. I was killing the snake? I was killing...the snake! Oh...

Oh!

I was suddenly overcome with an urgency, and I raised the knife above my head with both hands.

I didn't want to kill anything, but a) I knew I had no choice, and b) it was certainly preferable to the other way around. The snake's contractions were indeed growing fewer and weaker.

I took a huge breath and brought my hands down again, slicing through the waters, and straight through the creature's narrow body.

A red cloud swelled around the lords, and I felt the warmth of the blood in the water. I lost sight of them for a while as the cloud grew larger, but I could still hear them. They were chanting again.

"A serpent,

Your gift.

A serpent,

Your gift.

Please now, return our brothers their sight."

I did not join in, keeping my mouth firmly clamped together, for fear of inhaling the snakes' blood.

The cloud began to clear, and I saw that they were doing a lap around the circle squeezing out the blood over the kneeling mers as they went.

I had heard of people doing crazy things for love, but I was pretty sure this took the cup.

***

To add insult to injury, we were required to eat the snake once we had been sufficiently bathed in its blood. The seal-guys had said if we were to kill an animal for a purpose, then we must make sure we use every last part of it so that it did not go to waste.