An Unexpected Visit

I helped my parents with their bags as they boarded the sea taxi, with Maurice. I had been back six days now, and they were off to France for a whole month to celebrate their anniversary.

I had felt both apprehension and envy that morning as I had watched them pack their suntan lotion and passports. They were off on a proper summer holiday, and if it had not been their anniversary, I would have asked to tag along.

"Goodbye Crystal," said Dad, hugging me. "Now please remember to put food in the birdhouse regularly."

"Birdmansion, you mean?" I laughed. Dad had built a humongous creation in the garden where the birds could feed.

"Please, don't glamorize it," said Mum. She was not a fan of Dad's latest offering. In all fairness, it did take up half the back garden and blocked the sea view from the conservatory. Before she boarded the boat she whispered to me, "You know if something were to happen to that thing, it wouldn't be a great tragedy."

"Mum!" I hissed. She was terrible.

"I always knew you were daddy's girl," she sighed, hugging me. "Now, just look after the house and don't get trashed all the time."

I rolled my eyes and hugged her. I was not a total drunk. In fact, I was actually detoxing right now.

"Are you sure you don't want to keep Moz?" said Dad, from the boat.

I smiled and shook my head. Maurice was on his first trip abroad now that he had a pet passport, and I didn't want to ruin it for him – even if he had no idea he was going away.

Dad held him up and waved his little brown paw, as the engine revved up.

I laughed and waved back as they took off over the green waters. I could see them all waving at me until they disappeared from eyesight and then I found myself alone on the jetty for the first time since coming home.

I stood there for a little while. Llyr had come to collect me nearly every day from this spot, and it was even the place where we first... I sighed and looked up at the sky in a bid to draw an end to these thoughts. There is NO point in going there. I won't torture myself.

I turned and walked back towards my house. If I really dwelled on old times down the jetty, I may too start to think about the kidnapping. I was snatched from here one evening as I awaited Llyr's arrival, and to reminisce on this was the worst thing I could do. I was all alone on Starfish now, and although I knew my captors were dead, the prospect of this was unnerving nonetheless. At least I knew I was welcome at Rosie and Jemima's if I got scared. I'll keep the sea taxi on speed dial, I vowed, walking up my garden path.

I had actually done quite a good job the past few days of not thinking about any of this stuff; spending all my time with Mum and Dad and knackering myself out with walks around the mainland.

Of course, I had wondered about the person in the sea that night, but I truly doubted it had been Llyr. Not after that morning with George. I mean, it could have been any of them. It could have been that they were checking up on me, making sure I wasn't snooping into their business again or maybe they were not even that bothered by my presence here. I may not be considered a threat at all anymore. It was probably just a regular mer taking a late-night swim.

Right now, I was more conscious than ever that I had to push on with my life. That seemed to be the general message I was getting, anyway.

Full of determination, I headed into the living room and turned on my laptop. I would hunt for a job abroad, just like Rosie said. Even if it was an unpaid internship, I could take out another loan. I may still be able to palm myself off as a student - get some kind of interest-free deal.

I typed 'history interns abroad' into the search engine and waited hopefully. This could very well wind up being my ticket out of here and to where I needed to be in life.

***

I had dozed off somewhere in the middle of my job hunt and was in a lovely slumber when a knocking awakened me.

What is that? I sat up slowly, a little confused, allowing myself to come to. It was getting dark outside; I must have slept for quite a few hours.

"Hello?" I called out, wearily.

"Crystal?" there was a voice. A man's voice.

I got up, my heart pounding, and walked slowly through to the kitchen. It was coming from the back door.

I crept closer and could make out his figure through the blurred glass, illuminated by the security light out back. He was of average height, and a little stooped. This was slightly reassuring, but I tiptoed over to the kitchen drawer nonetheless, gingerly opening it and retrieving a rolling pin.

I took a deep breath and swung open the door quickly.

"George!" I cried. I had not been expecting to see him for a while.

"Hey kid," he said. There was something different about him. There was no merry twinkle about him; he was straight-faced. Serious.

"Do you want to come in?" I asked.

"No, I can't stay," he said.

"Oh, well, if it's Dad you're after, you've just missed him," I said. I couldn't imagine he was here to see me after everything.

"No, I know they've gone. That's why I came," he said.

"Er... okay," I replied slowly. "I'm really sorry about the other da-" I began.

George held his hand up. "Can you be up at dawn?" he asked in a hushed voice.

"Well, I guess so..." I said. Does he want to take me fishing or something?

"Like, at the first trace of light?" he said.

"Bloody hell, that's very early George," I said, panicked.

"Someone wants to see you, and this is the only time you can go," he said.

Suddenly I understood. My heart began to race, and I found myself nodding wide-eyed, now just as serious as George.

"Be on the jetty," he said, before turning.

I watched him leave, breathless. Could it really be? Am I finally going to see him again?