Hitting Home

We must have swum for about an hour before the twinkly amber lights of Starfish came into view.

I felt a little like Dorothy in The Wizard of Oz clicking my heels together - or in my case, kissing a merman - and returning home from a fantasy land. Unlike Dorothy though, I wasn't massively looking forward to returning to my world, even if I had been desperate to leave the seabed. I knew that I was only returning to the dismal situation I had left behind.

I followed Spirit as we swam to my side of the island, where we began to home in on my jetty. It all looked exactly the same, with Dad's big red speedboat bobbing jollily in the waves, as though nothing had happened.

We slowed our strokes on approach and Spirit looked over his shoulder at me swimming along effortlessly.

"Just when you master the seas, you are going home," he said.

"Yes," I giggled. "The irony."

When we reached the jetty, we trod water opposite each other for a little while. It was dark, and the only light came from the half-moon above, which was partly obscured by cloud. Even despite the black night, I realized that I could still see Spirit's features perfectly, much better than I would have done before my transformation. It was kind of unsettling to think that I had permanently changed, even if it did mean I possessed these enviable superhuman assets.

"So, what are you thinking?" asked Spirit.

"Just that last time I was here, I ... was fully human," I said slowly. "And now I'm different... I can do all this weird stuff. It's just kind of, hitting home, so to speak."

"Yes, well, the last time I was here, I was pretty certain you would remain fully human," he replied.

I shook my head and smiled as I remembered him showing up that morning in that boat. I had been absolutely horrified.

"Well, a lot has changed since then," I said, raising an eyebrow and wagging a finger between him and me. I really had grown to like him, even care for him, in that space of time between now and then.

"For you maybe," he said.

"Oh, so you still hate me?" I asked, raising my eyebrows worriedly.

"I never hated you. The opposite, really," he said.

"Well, you definitely had a funny way of showing it," I replied, frowning at him.

"T'is a long story..." said Spirit, looking up at my house.

I nodded, I understood. The conversation was over. Whatever his story was, he had probably opened up to me enough for a century. He was a complex mer, but I had grown to appreciate him.

I suddenly realized something.

"I'm completely naked," I said, with alarm.

"Yes, except for your favorite necklace," he said amusedly, swimming a little closer. He leaned in and kissed me softly on the cheek. His lips lingered a little, and the butterflies danced again in my stomach.

"I shall leave you here," he said, looking around at the neighboring houses, "I don't think anyone is awake."

I bit my lip and followed his gaze. All the lights were out, and if I was super quiet, hopefully, nobody would see. I turned back to him.

"Thank you for everything," I said, almost tearfully. It had been a crazy roller coaster, and he had been by my side through all the horrific lows. "I don't know what I would have done without you."

"You were beautiful from start to finish," he said, still close. "It is no wonder Llyr loves you."

I frowned at these last words, but he had turned, and he was gone, swimming out to sea before I could say anything. I watched him go, his arms slicing through the waters, catching the faint white moonlight as they traveled. He grew smaller and smaller and then I was alone, naked in the sea and about to do the ultimate walk of shame to my back door. I just hoped nobody was awake to witness it.

I swam slowly up to the jetty. I had such a huge amount to process, but Spirit's last words still hung in the air. No wonder Llyr loves you.

It was those two little letters again. They meant the world, but at the same time, I couldn't let them matter to me anymore. All had been lost.