Noduns Help Us

As much as I had come to adore these maids, I was starting to feel the back pain from all these hardcore makeovers. I was always required to sit in the same position for hours while they fussed about me.

Tonight they had put me in some kind of tight teeny corset, and they were busily tugging at it from behind.

"Rise please, Miss White," said Wavia.

I forced a smile and floated up a little. Gosh, this thing was restrictive, I could barely catch a breath.

They swam around me, inspecting the corset from all angles, one maid even descending upside down from the ceiling to scrutinize. I swallowed a giggle. Who was going to be looking at it from that way round?

There was a collective nod, and they appeared satisfied. The maids were now swarming around a box and then they suddenly flew at me with hands full of jewels.

Some time later, I saw them heading off to get the mirror and I braced myself. What weird and wonderful creation am I wearing tonight?

They held the glass up and as usual down here, I had to blink a few times, to adjust to my reflection. It was usually the tail that threw me, but tonight I was astonished by my top half.

My corset was made from a pale-coloured net and boasted clusters of white gemstones in all the right places. It ended just above my belly button, and when I turned to the side, I could see it was fastened by dark green laces of seaweed.

We had gone to the surface to do my makeup earlier, and I saw now that it had been worth the trip. I had the 'smoky eyes' look tonight, thanks to the ink of an octopus, and my favorite peary pulp. It was all so striking, but what I was really drawn to was the olive-green diamond choker around my neck.

I moved closer to the mirror to get a better look. Three big sparkly oval stones clung to my throat, and then an amalgamation of slightly smaller green gemstones and pearls tumbled over my chest to just above the corset. It's spectacular!

"Oh, Miss White!" cried Blue, one of the maids. "You look so enchanting!"

"Thank you," I smiled, looking at them tearfully. These three had given me the grace and confidence to fit into this underwater world when I had been a total outsider. I had felt like a complete runt when I had arrived at Evergreen but now, thanks to them, I looked like a true mermaid princess, one who could even outshine Kara.

"I just hope he chooses you!" blurted out Wavia suddenly.

I swallowed. It was official; no thoughts were private down in mer-land!

"Oh, Wavia!" scolded Blue. "Again, our apologies Miss White for this indiscretion."

I couldn't help but smile. "You can all sense my emotions?" I asked.

Blue bowed her head. "We have felt all your pain and confusion since we first dressed you, Miss White."

"Oh," I said, laughing. "Well, in that case, I'm sorry. I wouldn't wish all of that on anyone."

My maids smiled, and we left my room and swam up through the passages towards the Grand Hall. The plan was, I would meet Jasper just before, and we would enter the ball together looking wildly in love.

"So, do you like your attire, Miss White?" asked Blue as they escorted me upwards.

"Oh yes!" I exclaimed. "I don't think I have ever looked so lovely in all my life!" They gasped excitedly. Oh, bless them! "I especially love the necklace," I continued as we reached the top of the palace. "It's just incredible!"

"Oh yes," said Blue. "Your good friend Spirit made it for you."

I froze. "He- he what?" I stuttered.

"Blue!" cried Wavia. "I'm sorry, Miss White," she said, somewhat smugly.

Spirit had made me this? I was stunned. What on earth for?

"I am so sorry," said Blue, looking absolutely mortified. "He just gave it to us earlier and said it was for you, for tonight. Have we caused you problems?"

I couldn't bear to cause Blue anymore torment, and so I just smiled. "No, it's fine," I said, as we reached the top of the palace. I could hear the sounds of a thousand voices from the hall, and I suddenly felt butterflies in my stomach.

This was it. The last night I would ever have to win back Llyr.

"Boo!" came a voice behind me.

I jumped and spun around. It was Jasper, wearing nothing but a little net neckerchief, encrusted with mauve gemstones.

"Well, well!" I cried, touching his neckerchief. "This is rather fabulous!"

"Guess what?" he said, leaning in excitedly. "I've been peeking inside, and there's some serious guy fry tonight!"

"That's wonderful and everything," I said hesitantly, "but you do know we're supposed to be in love, don't you?"

"Oh yes, yes..." said Jasper distractedly in a way where I knew all he was thinking about was hot gay mermen.

Oh dear, I thought as we swam towards the grand entrance. May Nodens - whoever the hell that was - help us...