Busy

Breakfast with Lena had been the last time that you had been able to spend time with her. She had been booked the entire week and the only time that she had off was to sleep. Even then, it was only for a couple of hours. Sweet as ever, Lena had tried to make it up to you by coming over to your place to hang out but she would always fall asleep almost a minute after taking seat on your couch. Ultimately, you just led her straight to you bed after she arrived and when you would wake up, she would be gone. The only thing that told you that you hadn't dreamt of her coming over was the note that she would often leave behind. 

"Spill. You're not this grumpy in the morning."

"Just drop it Kara. I'm tired."

"Have you been taking your medicine? (y/n), I swear to god if you haven't then I'm going to start staying with you until I know that you're following your pill schedule. You remember what happened last time, we almost stopped being friends because of it."

You finished making the drink and handed it to one of your employees so you could talk to Kara. Pulling her to the office, you closed the door behind her. 

"I've been taking my pills Kara, just because I'm tired doesn't mean that I'm not taking them. I would like to ask for you to stop being so loud about my health problems. I don't go around telling everyone who your girlfriend is."

Kara knew something was up. You were never this serious. 

"Seriously, (y/n). What is going on?"

"Kara, I'm fine. I just told you that I'm tired."

"You're never tired unless you skip out on your pills. Now either you lied about taking them or you're lying about being tired. What is it?"

You quietly cursed her out for knowing you too well. You couldn't hide anything from her. 

"If I tell you, will you drop it?"

She nods, quickly crossing her heart with her finger. 

"It's Lena...."

"I knew it! She was too perfect to not have a flaw. What is it? Did she lie to you..."

"Kara! Lena didn't do anything wrong. I just miss her. She's been busy at the hospital."

"...oh. Right. I knew that."

Kara stands up from her seat and gives you a hug. You can't help but sigh and return the embrace. 

"Well I can't tell you that it'll get easier. She's a well known surgeon around the country. A lot of people request for her to perform their surgeries."

You frown, stepping back to look at her. 

"How do you know that she's a well known surgeon."

Kara looks away from you, unable to tell a lie while looking at you. 

"I just heard some rumors. 

"Kara...did you look her up?!"

"I'm sorry! I just wanted to make sure that she wasn't lying about who she was."

You shook your head at her, rolling your eyes at the same time. 

"Kara, Lena has not once given us a reason to think otherwise. Just admit that you like her and lets move on."

Kara crosses her arms, refusing to admit it. 

"No. I don't think that I'll ever think anyone is good enough for you. You're my best friend and I think you deserve nothing but the best."

"I think you can admit that Lena is perfect just like I think that Andrea is perfect for you."

Kara sighs, you were right. She liked Lena.

"Okay, fine. I like Lena. Happy?"

"Very much. Now come on. Poor Mason is out there handling all the clients. We're terrible bosses."

"Speak for yourself. I'm a great boss."

"Sure, you are."

At work, you had forgotten about the fact that Lena's been so busy she's only been able to spend the night with you. When you come back home, you're reminded about the lack of time spent with her when you find her sleeping on the couch. You had given her a key in the middle of the week after she had decided to come over after her shift ended at midnight. 

'You were at work and I didn't want to bother you. I bought your favorite. Thank you for being so patient with me. I promise that my weeks won't be as busy after this one.'

Read the note that Lena had left for you. 

Giving her cheek a kiss, you placed a blanket over her and began to eat what Lena had brought you. It had been sweet of her to do so. You just wished that she was also eating with you. You reminded yourself that this was temporary and it will soon pass. What mattered was the Lena was making an attempt to make sure you knew that she wasn't blowing you off.