Chapter 14

14.

"Hey, Breton... Hey!"

Slowly, I turned my gaze to the huge Orc that stood before me. It was the same one that had punched me when I first arrived – and the one that I had punched back. Warning bells went off in the back of my mind as I looked at his battle-scarred scowling face.

I was sat at one of the long tables in the bandit's feast hall, alone and attempting to eat. The other ‘Pirates’ gave me a wide berth.

I tilted my head toward him, inviting him to continue whilst chewing thoughtfully.

"I heard you killed a bride at her own wedding - one of the Thieves Guild members," He growled, and I gazed back passively.

"So?"

"So I just wanted to say ... nice job!"

I frowned suspiciously, putting my half-eaten chicken leg back on my silver plate.

"Thank you," I said slowly, and he gave me a toothy grin before sitting down opposite me, and pulling a plate of venison toward him.

"You have a pretty good swing – for a Breton," He admitted roughly, before tearing into the bloody meat.

"You don’t punch so badly yourself," I smiled.

"You're name's Shadowstep, correct?"

"Yes, but you can call me Viv. What's yours?"

"Crusher."

"That's ... nice. Pray tell, why do you have such a name?" I asked curiously, sipping some ale.

"When I was a young ‘un, I crushed a horse’s skull when I was petting it. Also, I crush skulls and bones with my war-hammer, which is called 'Dibella'."

"You named your war-hammer after the goddess of love?"

"Yeah," Crusher said fiercely, daring me to question him. I shrugged unconcernedly, not wanting to be 'Dibella's' next victim.

"Hammer or sword?" He asked suddenly.

"Sword."

"A sword? They are the worst weapons by far – how are you supposed to break bones with them?"

Just as I was about to retort, I heard a fiery explosion from outside. Crusher and I leapt to our feet in unison, as did the other feasting bandits.

"Time to find out which weapon is better," The Orc told me, looking bloodthirsty as he reached for the hilt of his hammer, which was the size of a small child.

I drew my blade out, retreating backwards.

"What, you're not staying for the fight? Coward!"

"Who says there is a fight?" I replied quickly, “And someone needs to tell Mercer if there is!"

Crusher thought about this, and then nodded in agreement just as the main doors smashed open. In came a small army of Stormcloaks, and in the lead was Ralof, looking around frantically for something – or someone.

Without a second to loose, I darted away toward the main part of the fort, running towards Mercer's room. I heard Crusher's heavy footsteps behind me as he followed.

When we reached Mercer's room, I threw the door open and went straight in without knocking. Mercer looked up from his writing as I entered, looking peeved.

"Why didn't you knock?" He asked, sounding annoyed.

"There's no time - the Stormcloaks are here!" I exclaimed, and Mercer sighed, like he had been expecting this.

"Right. Viv, Crusher, come with me - I have a feeling that we're going to be the only Pirates that walk out alive tonight."

"And how do you propose we escape - just walk right past them?" I asked sarcastically, and he shot me a dark look while he stood.

"I know a secret exit."

"What about Jolgar?"

"The Stormcloaks will find him - consider that a blessing."

"But don't you need something to ‘keep my loyalty’?"

"I think you've already proven yourself by killing Vex," He grinned, and I looked away feeling ill.

Abruptly, Gudlin came tearing down the hall and into Mercer’s room.

“Chief, the Stormcloaks-”

“Yes, I already know. You’re a bit late, Gudlin,” Mercer replied dryly, and Gudlin noticed me and glared.

“Oh.”

“Can we go now? I can hear the soldiers approaching,” I chipped in, and Mercer nodded curtly as he unsheathed his two dwarven blades.

The sounds of shouting and metal clashing carried through the fort as Mercer led us down a dark, abandoned corridor. Gudlin and Crusher were not as skilled at being silent as Mercer and I were, because obviously we had had a lot of training whereas they were ordinary bandits and not so adept at sneaking. We shared a brief pained look at their heavy footsteps.

Finally, the battle-sounds quietened as we moved further away, into the dark depths of the fort.

“There – that’s our ticket out,” Mercer said suddenly, stopping and pointing at a ladder at the end of the hall which led up to a trap door.

“Wait for me!” A voice called from behind us, and a slippery Argonian shoved past, racing to the ladder.

“Stop-!” I started to say, noticing the tell tale signs of a trap.

Mercer was smiling in vague amusement as darts suddenly flew out of the walls, and the Argonian dropped to the floor, twitching and screeching.

“Well, I was going to tell him,” Mercer said defensively when I shot him a glare as he smirked. Gudlin was laughing softly and Crusher looked bored.

“Anymore traps, or is that it?” I asked sardonically, and he laughed.

“No – at least, I don’t think there is. Care to go first?”

The Argonian had stopped screaming and was now still. I crept past him cautiously, and then grinned triumphantly as I reached the other side safely.

“Its fine,” I told them, before climbing up the ladder and opening the trap door.

I breathed in the fresh, crisp morning air, and stood on the roof of the fort. I snuck up to the wall, and looked down to see three waiting soldiers outside, who must have been back up for the Stormcloaks inside. I pulled my bow off my back reluctantly. They were still my brothers and sisters in arms, and I really would regret having to kill them.

I trained the arrow, and then fired at the first soldier, who fell to his knees as the silent arrow thudded in his chest. The two other Stormcloaks spotted me, and drew their own bows, but as they did so another speedy arrow from me sent another one to Sovengarde.

The last soldier was an archer anyway, and his arrow hit my shoulder as I moved too slowly to avoid it. Cursing, I staggered away from the wall, and Mercer, who had joined me now, grabbed my bow and an arrow and shot the Stormcloak without hesitation. He turned to me, and looked at my bleeding shoulder with an arrow sticking out of it.

“We’ll sort that out in a moment – now we have to go before the other Stormcloaks finish up.”

There was another ladder that led down from the roof and onto the ground. It took quite a bit of effort, but I managed not to fall as I climbed down with one hand.

Mercer steadied me as I fell off the last rung, and I gave him a grateful look before he led the group away from the fort. I only looked back once before hurrying away with Mercer, Crusher and Gudlin, into the snowy land of Skyrim’s wilderness.