Chapter 9

9.

“Do you think we’ll find the bandits?” Jolgar asked me as we rode side by side, our horses taking the flat path in their stride.

Sprig was rolling in the grass beside the path, enjoying herself – as usual. The old watchtower was visible not too far away, and we were approaching the end of our journey.

“Yes. We have too. For Skyrim,” I said seriously.

“For Skyrim,” He agreed.

As we approached, the sound of battle could be heard. Instantly, I was on high alert. Sprig’s ears quivered and she yelped loudly.

“Shush!” I warned, leaping down from my horse and leading it off the path. Jolgar did likewise, and we tied them to the nearest tree. Sprig stayed close to me, her whole body positioned in attack mode.

“A fight already?” He asked incredulously.

“I don’t like this…” I murmured, and we made our way closer to the tower.

We stopped about thirty metres away, ducking behind a handy, big rock.

“Imperials?” He muttered, peering at the fight, and I shook my head vigorously.

“Bandits,” I said with certainty.

Imperials wouldn’t wear fur armour like that with a shield branded with a skull – brigand armour. Imperials wouldn’t use those dirty fighting techniques that the attackers were using. And Imperials certainly wouldn’t strip the armour off the Stormcloak bodies as soon as they were dead.

“We’ve got to help,” I said, and Jolgar nodded, gripping his bow, and nocked an arrow.

“Good luck. Try not to get killed,” He murmured, looking deeply into my eyes. I felt my heart flutter slightly, but I ignored it.

“You too,” I whispered, and gave him a parting smile before leaping over the rock and bounding into action with Sprig hot on my heels.

There were about five Stormcloaks left standing, with Ralof included, and twenty bandits. The Stormcloaks carried on fighting viciously, and I quickly implanted my sword into the closest bandit’s back. I pulled it out quickly, and leapt into the middle. A bandit swung his iron sword at me, and it glanced off my left sword while I slashed with my right.

An arrow flew past my ear, and I spun around to see a bandit crumpled to the ground, only a hairsbreadth away from me. As I watched the remaining Stormcloaks fall, and heard a canine yelp of pain, an idea formed in my brain.

“Stop!” I cried, so loudly and suddenly that the bandits actually stopped attacking, more in bewilderment than anything else. Sprig limped over to me, and Jolgar raced to my side. With a scan, I quickly found the leader, who was the only one wearing a helmet with horns sticking out of it, and appealed to him.

“Stop fighting for a moment, please,” I requested, and he grinned toothily, revealing a few missing teeth.

“Anything for a pretty lady,” He said slimily, and I fought to stop myself wrinkling my nose in disgust.

“Are you part of the Skyrim Pirates?” I asked, with a trace of doubt in my voice.

“You’ve got that right. Who else but the Skyrim Pirates could take on a party of Stormcloaks unflinchingly?” He roared, and the bandits cheered.

Ralof stood behind me, but he pushed forward and he glared at the leader.

“You snuck up on us – it wasn’t fair!” He said stoutly, and the Pirates laughed.