Chapter 7

Chapter 7.

“Are you serious?” Brynjolf said in disbelief a few days later, after I told him all that I’d learned.

“Yes, Bryn. Trust me, he won’t betray us. He can’t betray us. I’m his favourite weapon, remember?” I sighed, willing him to trust me.

We were stood in training room once again, the only relatively private place in the Cistern.

“I don’t know, lass. I don’t know what to think, what to do…” He said wearily, looking completely out of his depth.

“Look, I know what I’m doing. If Ulfric Stormcloak gives his word, he sticks to it,” I said pleadingly.

“And who says we can trust you?”

This wasn’t Brynjolf, and we both looked over at the doorway, seeing Karliah lounging against the wall. She leisurely walked over to Brynjolf, and put a possessive hand on his shoulder, which I glared at disgustedly, and looked at me with malice in her eyes.

“Excuse me, but I am the Guildmaster,” I said shortly, playing the Guildmaster card again.

“So was Mercer, and looked where trusting him led us,” She retaliated, and I looked at Brynjolf imploringly.

“Bryn, please. You know me. You can trust me. I’d never put the guild in danger, and this is the only way we can get rid of the bandits that are stealing our loot!” I said passionately.

“She could be Ulfric’s personal mole, trying to wipe us out,” Karliah muttered to Brynjolf, who was clearly split on the matter.

“I’ve made it no secret that I am loyal to the High King,” I said coldly.

Karliah opened her mouth triumphantly, but I cut her off.

“But I didn’t think that this affected my status in the guild,” I finished bitingly, meeting Brynjolf’s wary eyes.

“Brynjolf, you heard it yourself. Send her away from the guild – it’s not safe for us,” Karliah said pleadingly, looking afraid when Brynjolf glanced down at her. Her eyes flicked to mine, telling an entirely different story.

Finally, Brynjolf seemed to come to a decision, as the unsure look left his face and was replaced with a hard, determined look. Karliah and I waited with bated breath, watching him in anticipation and fear.

His dark eyes met mine once more, and regret filled them.

“Vivian, you’re no longer welcome here in Thieves’ Guild. I’m sorry, but I can’t risk any harm coming to the guild, despite Ulfric’s word. You’re on your own, and … don’t come back... Farewell, Vivian,” Brynjolf said formally, turning away and leaving the training room hurriedly, probably to inform the other members of my exile.

Hot tears blurred my vision, and I tried to blink them away as betrayal washed through me. Karliah drew her dagger and poked me with it.

“Get out, Viv, and don’t even think of returning. If you do, I’ll be the one spilling your blood,” She smirked, and the tears dried up abruptly, and my sadness was replaced with white hot fury.

Grabbing the front of her armour, I slammed her against the stone wall before she could react.

“Don’t think you’ve seen the last of me, Karliah,” I snarled, shaking her violently.

Karliah gripped my wrists and twisted them painfully. I yelped, and she kneed me swiftly in the stomach. Staggering backwards, she slashed with her dagger, leaving a long gash along my cheekbone.  I jerked back and unsheathed my sword, and we began to circle each other like hungry wolves.

“When I come back, you’re going to regret this for the rest of your life, elf! I’ll have you on the run again for as long you live! This time, I’ll finish what Mercer started!” I cried, and darted through the now clear doorway.

My feet pounded against the floor as I kept my head down and sprinted to the ladders, ready to leave the Cistern. I turned one last time and drank in the familiar sight.

Various members of the guild, looking unsure, had drawn their weapons, watching me cautiously. Karliah wheeled out of the training room, practically breathing fire, but Rune gripped her arms, stopping her from coming after me. Brynjolf stood stock still in the centre of the Cistern, his weapon sheathed and a pained expression on his face.

“You’ll regret this day – all of you. Be prepared for the storm,” I warned, loud enough for them all to hear.

I left without another backwards glance, and immediately went to the Bee and Barb inn, ready to drink my sorrows away.

***

Five hours later, I sat in the furthest, darkest corner off the inn, with a full mug of ale in front of me. I stared at it broodingly.

“You have some nerve coming here after what you did to Keerava,” Talen-Jei told me for what must have been the millionth time. My patience snapped, and I gave the green Argonian a look of pure death. His broom stopped mid-sweep.

“You don’t need to tell me that every time I come in here!” I yelled at him, loud enough to wake the dead.

Startled, he scurried away, and I exhaled angrily. Grabbing the tankard viciously, I downed the drink in one.

“Can’t even get drunk… No way am I looking like an idiot in front of the guards – probably tell Ulfric if I did…” I grumbled to myself.

Suddenly, the seat in front of me became occupied, and I looked at the man across me, who was grinning cheekily. He raised the tankard in a toast, and then downed it. I studied him for a moment, and then narrowed my eyes as recognition came to me.

“You…” I breathed, leaning back.

I almost laughed. Almost.

“Well, my night’s just gone out the window,” I complained, as he laughed cheerfully.

Sam Guevenne, aka Sanguine the Daedric Prince, watched me intently, still smirking.

“How’s my favourite mortal doing? I hope you’ve found some good uses for my Rose,” He inquired, seeming interested.

“I’m sure you’ve been watching me – how do you think I am?” I shot back, and amusement showed in his eyes.

“Ah, now I remember why I like you,” He said mildly.

I sighed, and Talen-Jei began to amble over casually, already opening his mouth for his favourite rebuke.

“Oh, for the love of Akatosh!” I groaned as he approached.

“Don’t use that language in front of me,” The Daedric Prince muttered, his nose wrinkled in disgust.

“You have some-” The Argonian started, and I covered my ears. Sam, without even turning around, clicked his fingers and in an instant, Talen-Jei was gone. The broom clattered to the floor, and Keerava screeched in horror before disappearing out of the door.

“Thank you,” I said honestly, and Sam grinned again.

“Come with me – let’s have some fun,” He tempted, winking.

“I can’t. Not tonight. I don’t want to spend tomorrow buying goats back from giants and taking wedding rings off hagravens,” I smiled, and he chuckled.

“Suit yourself, mortal. But if you need anything, just send me a prayer. I’ll be waiting,” Sam disappeared with a toothy smile, and Talen-Jei reappeared, looking bemused.

“What was I saying?” He pondered, and I jumped up and ran out of the inn in fits of laughter.