The J in Jake Stand for Jerk

Y/N POV

"Oh yeah, our final project for school was a robot battle and Y/N here, wanted a side bet with her high school rival." Everyone around me was laughing but felt like I couldn't take my eyes off Clay. That was until Howard stepped out of his car, Ugh "Howard."

"Y/N... Good to see you're being mature about this." Shit, I definitely said that out loud. Can I not keep my thoughts to myself for one second?

"Okay. So robot battle. I'm still confused about what exactly is happening" Clay interrupts my train of thoughts. We fill Clay in on all the details of the competition, while Howard unpacks his equipment.

"So where's the rest of team Gamers?" I ask.

"They're all driving here on their own, they should be here soon" he responded. Soon after he said that, another car pulled up and out stepped Jake. Howard finished his set up when his phone rang.

"Hello.... oh my god are you okay?...Alright, I'll let them know." he looked up at us. "Oliver and Liam can't make it."

"Who?" I ask.

"The rest of my team," he looked at me confused.

     "What happened to them?" I ask another question.

     "None of your business" he spoke with a hint sadness in his voice.

"Oh. What do we do now?" I asked my final question.

"I guess I'll have to forfeit." He looked down at the ground. Thomas tried to give a solution

"No, Mohamed can play in place of Oliver, and Nadia will be our only ref"

"That wouldn't be fair. Nadia and Mohamed are extremely biased," Howard said.

"What if I played in place of Oliver?" Clay spoke up. "I'm not really biased, and I may not have too much experience with robots, but I play video games for a living. So I'm not your worst option." I could see Howard contemplating his options.

"And you're not shit at video games?" Howard asks, I hope halfway joking.

"No," Clay chuckles.

"Okay, I want you to give it your all then." Howard shook Clay's hand. "And I want Nadia and Mohamed to promise they will be fair when reffing"

"Promise" Nadia and Mohamed saluted Howard.

We let Clay get used to the mechanics of Howard's robot, and set up the competition bracket.

"Alright the rounds are as follows. Chris V. Jake, Thomas V. Clay, and as expected Y/N V. Howard." Nadia read off the list in her hand. "Lets get started." We all sat down around the ring while Chris and Jake stepped up to the controls.

"Ready? start." I call to them. Jake makes the first move and goes straight for Chris, he hits the ram on our robot and pushes Chris all the way to the edge of the circle. Chris drives to the side to try and escape but ends up just driving straight out of the circle.

"LETS GETTT IIIIIIT" Jake starts jumping up and down. "Gamers- 1. Royals-0"

"Well, that round was short lived" I said to Nadia. I walk over to Clay to wish him luck. "Hey"

"Hey Y/N" Clay smiles at me. "Do you do this kind of stuff a lot?"

"Not this in specific, but yeah I guess" I laugh a little

"That's really cool" He smiles again while talking, I can't help but blush a little at him.

"Alright, Thomas and Clay. You're up." Nadia says looking up from her paper.

"I know we're on different teams, but I wish you good luck" I wave to him as he walks away.

"Thanks Y/N. Lets hope you make a good luck charm" I see him blush too. He walks up to the controls and waits for the Okay to start, Nadia gave her countdown and they began their battle.

Thomas starts by using the the ram end of the robot and ends up driving up and over the other robot. Before he can get pushed out of the ring he turns the robot to the scooping side and charges at the other robot again. He gets two of the wheels off the ground and pushes their robot out of the ring.

"YEAHHH!! Thomas throws his hands in the air. We all high five. Howard tosses the notebook he was holding down to the floor.

"This isn't fair, Y/N screwed his game up she was flirting with Clay and distracting him." Howard was clearly trying to get a rematch between Clay and Thomas.

"Like Y/N could have that effect on anyone, have you SEEN her?" Jake laughed at me. Wait. WHAT? did he just call me ugly? I can't believe I ever liked him. I feel a pain in my chest, I can't stop the tears from filling my eyes. I don't like crying in front of people, so I run to my room as quick as I can. I run through the front door, up the stairs to my room and lock the door. I grab a pillow and just start crying into it.

A/N
Hey so I realized that I haven't been indenting my stuff cuz I've been writing on my phone. I'm changing that now, sorry if that was bothersome to look at.
Thanks for reading :)