The Last Day

Avneet's POV

I stared at the teacher in front of me, my favourite teacher, I  was gonna miss her so much. Mrs. Mamta. I sighed inwardly. Always giving me book recommendations and improving my essays. To others she may seem like a cruel person, but to me she was my idol. So calm, composed, and always having a reasonable opinion.

"I hope you all enjoy your last day in this building. I don't think you will miss it too much but I hope you all get into good colleges and get degrees and succeed in life." She smiled at all of us, it was one of her rare smiles, one of the wistful ones like she'd really miss teaching us. She locked eyes with me giving me her, now easily recognisable, 'stay back' look.

All the other students rushed out of the class eagerly going to the lawn to enjoy the DJ and canteen for our farewell. Jannat nudged me.

"Chal Avu let's go dance!!" She jumped up and down excitedly.

"Jan tu ja aur "cool" group ke saath enjoy kar. Mai thodi der mai aati hun"

"Nhi mai apni pyaari nerd ko chodke kahi nhi jaungi"

"Are baba do minute mai aayi pakka"

"Uff terese zid karne ka fayda hi nhi hai jaldi aaio ok?"

"Han han ok" I laughed a little at her as she skipped away outside. As the classroom got empty I went over to Mrs. Mamta. "Good Morning Ma'am" I said in the same scared tone as the first time I saw her. We both laughed.

"Ah my favourite student in the class"

"If anyone heard you say that, they would call me nerd or topper even more"

"Ah now all that will be soon over, you're going to college and I know you'll be great even in that."

"I'm actually scared for that college in Switzerland what if the syllabus is farther than what I can handle"

"I know you will be absolutely amazing in that just keep faith in yourself and be strong"

"Ma'am I've learnt both the things from you I don't know how I will ever be able to thank you enough"

"Thank me by becoming a good person which you already are. I'm so proud of you and now for a gift I wanna give you this" She took out a packet and gave it to me "Go on open it" and so I did.

"The Book Thief" I stared at my teacher with tears brimming my eyes "My favourite book...the first one you ever gave to me"

"In 9th grade" She said lightly laughing.

"Well I got you something too" and I too took out a packet from my bag. I gave to her and she opened it.

"The Memory of Light" She said and laughed "The book you recommended to me"

"At the end of 9th grade" I said and laughed.

"OK now you go outside and enjoy with everyone. You will always be one of my favourite and most memorable students."

"And you will always be my favourite teacher."
"OK ok go now"
"Bye ma'am!"

I laughed and went out of the classroom, I heard my favourite song, Malang, playing and oh how I wanted to dance but I knew that if I went I'd only be teased and bullied and I did not want that today so I sat down and opened the book to read one of my favourite quotes

'I wanted to tell the book thief many things, about beauty and brutality. But what could I tell her about those things that she didn't already know? I wanted to explain that I am constantly overestimating and underestimating the human race-that rarely do I ever simply estimate it. I wanted to ask her how the same thing could be so ugly and so glorious, and its words and stories so damning and brilliant.'

I loved the book beyond measure and then suddenly it was snatched from me. I angrily looked up but my anger just turned into exasperation as I saw who was there. Siddharth Nigam and his group, the school bullies and apparent baddies, more like a self absorbed arrogant insecure arses. I scoffed inwardly but I was too shy to say that to their faces. I wish I could.
_________________________________________

(A/N) 805 words!! How was Avu's POV. This was so fun to write lol. So Avneet is a shy nerd but she is actually really sassy and sarcastic. She is a topper and loves to read books. She also loves music but is a kind of over thinker because of her school experience so yeah. Anyways next is Sid's POV and I hope you like his character. Now,

Favourite moment?

Least favourite moment?

Any improvements?

Vote
Comment
Share

Love you all so much

XOXO, J