thirty-three: reminisce

Start from the beginning

When he entered the room, Jeongguk was hurriedly covering himself with a blanket.  He turned to the door and the tight fake smile he had on instantly faded away to be replaced with a real one.

"You're back," Jeongguk said softly and Taehyung nodded, walking over to him.

The elf sat at the side of his bed and placed his hands on his shoulder. "How are you feeling?" Taehyung asked and Jeongguk sighed, wrapping his arms around Taehyung's waist and pulled him in for a hug.

"Namjoon told me what happened after I... Before you say it, I know what I did seemed stupid, but it wasn't. I wanted to protect you, I didn't care about the price. I don't regret it and I'd do it again," Jeongguk said and Taehyung pulled back to look at him.

"But I am sorry," Jeongguk continued. "For breaking our promise and for worrying you."

Taehyung shook his head. "I would've done the same for you, it wouldn't be fair for me to hold your stupid, yes, no matter what you say, it was stupid, decision against you when I would've done the same. But god, never scare me like that again!"

Jeongguk smiled again. He connected their lips together for a brief moment, only pulling back to hold Taehyung in his arms tightly again.

"Now what were you doing out of bed when you're supposed to be on bedrest?" Taehyung asked and Jeongguk rolled his eyes,

"Not you too. Everyone's been checking up on me, I barely get time to exercise and practice magic," Jeongguk said.

"Your gift..." Taehyung trailed, hoping Jeongguk would understand.

"Still there. Namjoon and Jimin also tried to help me try to change my age but it seemed that we don't have the same affect. Oh! Namjoon has this silly little theory, because there's always a price that comes with these things, that if you're unhappy, I'll die again."

Taehyung pulled him back again. "Hey, don't say that."

"What, there has to be some kind of effect," Jeongguk said and Taehyung sighed.

"You lied to me," Taehyung changed the subject and Jeongguk furrowed his brows.

"What?"

"When I asked you if I promised to marry you or something when we were children," Taehyung explained.

Jeongguk's lips parted, mouth hanging open. "You have your memories."

"Ah, so you also remember!" Taehyung exclaimed and Jeongguk bit his lip to hold back the smile. Taehyung almost cooed at the blushing elf.

"We were just dumb kids, it doesn't count don't worry," Jeongguk started but Taehyung shook his head.

"Unlike you, I very well intend to keep my promises," Taehyung said and before Jeongguk could even question what that meant, Taehyung reached into the pocket of his robe and pulled out a rectangular box.

He carefully opened the box, revealing a clear ring bordered by gold, one had a piece of a blue branch encapsulated in it and the other had a bluer tone. 

"So that's where that went, thought I lost it in the field," Jeongguk muttered.

"You wore it to the fight," Taehyung recalled as he had done it himself. "Sorry I took it off. I asked for these to be made before I went to Earth."

"How did the mission go?" Jeongguk asked, looking up from the rings.

"You're seriously going to ask me about that when I'm holding two very important rings?" Taehyung and Jeongguk laughed, covering his mouth with his hand to stop himself.